Finding Horizontal Momentum of Cannonball

• Thread starter elmosworld403
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It is interesting that you mention that the vertical component of velocity reduces to zero at the highest point. This is because the cannonball has reached its highest point.
elmosworld403
A 2.00 kg cannonball is fired out of a cannon at an angle of 30.0 to the horizontal. When the cannonball reaches the top of its path, its momentum has a magnitude of 800 kg-m/s. What is the horizontal component of the cannonball's momentum when it left the cannon?

Change in Momentum
p=mΔv
p=fnetΔT
Impulse=Δp

3. Just learning momentum, but I don't know how to use the 30 degree angle with the momentum values to find the horizontal momentum? It does have to do with projectile motion, but I don't know how to use the data.

Attachments

• 20130207_221059 (2).jpg
    20130207_221059 (2).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 568
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi elmosworld403. Welcome to PF!

Do you remember how the horizontal component of velocity of a projectile changes during flight?

Horizontal velocity doesn't change at all. Vertical velocity does from gravity.

elmosworld403 said:
Horizontal velocity doesn't change at all. Vertical velocity does from gravity.

Right. What are the values of both the components at the highest point?

I checked the answer it was 800 kg- m/s

But the picture is confusing me isn't that the momentum of the cannonball at a 30 degree angle taking both the vertical and horizontal into account?

elmosworld403 said:
But the picture is confusing me isn't that the momentum of the cannonball at a 30 degree angle taking both the vertical and horizontal into account?

It is but you are asked only the horizontal component of the momentum. As I previously asked, what are the values of both the components of velocity at the highest point?

Pranav-Arora said:
Right. What are the values of both the components at the highest point?

Idk

Horizontal
Distance=?
Velocity=?
Time=?

Vertical
Acceleration= 9.81 m/s squared.
Vinitial=?
VFinal=?
Distance=?
Time=?

The question only gives me the momentum and weight and the angle.
Momentum= 800 kg m/s
weight= 2 kg
angle= 30 degrees

elmosworld403 said:
Idk

Horizontal
Distance=?
Velocity=?
Time=?

Vertical
Acceleration= 9.81 m/s squared.
Vinitial=?
VFinal=?
Distance=?
Time=?

The question only gives me the momentum and weight and the angle.
Momentum= 800 kg m/s
weight= 2 kg
angle= 30 degrees

The cannonball goes up due to the vertical component of velocity. When the vertical component of velocity reduces to zero, it starts getting back to the ground. So effectively, only the horizontal component of velocity contributes to the momentum of the ball at the highest point.

Pranav-Arora said:
The cannonball goes up due to the vertical component of velocity. When the vertical component of velocity reduces to zero, it starts getting back to the ground. So effectively, only the horizontal component of velocity contributes to the momentum of the ball at the highest point.

Holy Thanks Dude, my mind is blown right now. Didn't think that the highest point would not take into account the vertical since its velocity is zero. So the at the highest point only the momentum of the horizontal is left.:approve:

Until gravity takes over? then the vertical has a velocity again which goes towards the momentum?

Related to Finding Horizontal Momentum of Cannonball

1. What is the difference between Physics 30 and other physics courses?

Physics 30 is a grade 12 level course that covers advanced topics in physics such as electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. It also requires a strong understanding of calculus and algebra. Other physics courses at lower grade levels cover more basic concepts.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking Physics 30?

The prerequisites for taking Physics 30 may vary depending on the school or province, but typically it is recommended to have completed Physics 20 or an equivalent introductory physics course. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra and calculus.

3. What topics are covered in Physics 30?

Physics 30 covers a wide range of topics including electricity and magnetism, optics, modern physics, and nuclear physics. It also includes mathematical concepts such as vectors, trigonometry, and calculus. The course also emphasizes critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design skills.

4. How is Physics 30 assessed?

Physics 30 is typically assessed through a combination of assignments, quizzes, tests, and a final exam. There may also be lab reports and projects as part of the assessment. The weight of each assessment may vary depending on the school or province.

5. What career opportunities are available for students who take Physics 30?

Physics 30 is a valuable course for students who are interested in pursuing a career in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). It can lead to careers in research, engineering, computer science, medicine, and many other fields. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in physics and related disciplines at the post-secondary level.