Chain rule of partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation involved using the chain rule to calculate partial derivatives of h(u,v) = f(g1(u,v), g2(u,v)), where f(x,y) = 2x^5 + 4xy + 2y^3, g1(u,v) = u^2 - v^2, g2(u,v) = uv, and we were asked to find dh/du (1,-1) and dh/dv (1,-1). The correct approach is to differentiate h with respect to g1 and g2, express the g's in terms of u and v, and then combine the results with the partial derivatives of the g's to get the final answer.
xkellyy

Homework Statement

Suppose f(x,y) = 2x^5 + 4xy + 2y^3
g1(u,v) = u^2 - v^2
g2(u,v) = uv
h(u,v) = f(g1(u,v), g2(u,v))

Use chain rule to calculate:
dh/du (1,-1) and dh/dv (1,-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i let h (u,v) = 2(u^2 - v^2)^5 + 4(u^2-v^2)(uv) + 2(u-v)^3
then i tried drawing a chain rule tree diagram:

h --> f --> g1 and g2

g1 --> x and y

g2 --> x and y

so dh/du = (dh/df . df/dx . dx/du) + (dh/df . df/dy . dy/du)

then i got stuck :S

help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stuck how?

im not sure if my chain rule is correct to begin..i found this in my textbook though on calculating partial derivatives with changes in variables:

dh/du = dh/dg1 . dg1/du + dh/dg2 . dg2/du

so i followed that instead...
and got this

since h (u,v) = 2(u^2 - v^2)^5 + 4(u^2-v^2)(uv) + 2(u-v)^3

dh/dg1 = 10(u^2-v^2)^4 + 4uv

dg1/du = v

is that right so far?

h is just a different name for f(g1(u,v), g2(u,v)), so the factor of dh/df in your original attempt is unnecessary.

Since you wrote out h(u,v) explicitly in terms of u and v, you can simply differentiate it as you normally would do to find the answer you should get.

What's probably confusing you are all the variables. So try it like this:
[tex]h = f(g_1, g_2) = 2g_1^5 + 4g_1g_2 +2g_2^3[/tex]so[tex]\frac{\partial h}{\partial g_1} = 10g_1^4 + 4g_2[/tex]and then express the g's in terms of u and v. (This gives you what you got above.) Do the same thing with g2. Then put those together with the partial derivatives of the g's to form the final result. (You got [itex]\partial g_1/\partial u[/itex] incorrect.)

Related to Chain rule of partial derivatives

1. What is the chain rule of partial derivatives?

The chain rule of partial derivatives is a mathematical rule that allows us to find the rate of change of a function with respect to multiple variables. It is used to calculate the partial derivative of a composite function, which is a function made up of one or more functions.

2. How does the chain rule of partial derivatives work?

The chain rule of partial derivatives states that the partial derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the partial derivatives of each individual function multiplied together. This means that we can break down a complex function into simpler functions and find the partial derivatives of each one separately.

3. Why is the chain rule of partial derivatives important?

The chain rule of partial derivatives is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex functions. It is also essential for solving problems in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology.

4. Can the chain rule of partial derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, the chain rule of partial derivatives can be applied to any function as long as it is differentiable. This means that the function must have continuous partial derivatives and it must be possible to differentiate it with respect to each of its variables.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the chain rule of partial derivatives?

One common mistake to avoid when using the chain rule of partial derivatives is mixing up the order of differentiation. It is important to always differentiate the outer function first and then the inner functions in the correct order. Another mistake to watch out for is forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function when using the chain rule.