Chain Rule Examples: Find dz/dt and dz/dv with Substitutions

In summary: This notation is used in the second problem.In the first problem, z is a function of x and y, so the derivatives of z with respect to x or y are both partial derivatives. Since x and y are functions of a single variable t, then it makes sense to talk about dx/dt and dy/dt. Ultimately, z is a function of a single variable t, so you can write dz/dt, and its formula is as shown by lanedance.In the second problem, z is a function of x and y, but x and y are each function of u and v. This means that z is ultimately a function of both u and v, so the chain rule in this case will
xstetsonx
chain rule someone help please

1. let z=y^2-x^2cosy; x=t^3 y=cost, find dz/dt

2. let z=(x-y)^3;x=u+2v,y=2u-v,find dz/dvmy attempt:
so i know the chain rule is (dz/dx)dx+(dz/dy)dy
1. should i substitute the x and y into t first or should i do the partial derivative first?

2. same thing what should i do first?

Physics news on Phys.org

xstetsonx said:
1. let z=y^2-x^2cosy; x=t^3 y=cost, find dz/dt

2. let z=(x-y)^3;x=u+2v,y=2u-v,find dz/dv

my attempt:
so i know the chain rule is (dz/dx)dx+(dz/dy)dy
that's not quite an equation...

but guessing at what you're attempting to do, why not write dx & dy in terms of dt for the first?

k so i am just going to do the first one since they are similar
dx/dt=3t^2------------dy/dt=-sint
and then do dz/dx and dz/dy? after that substituted the t into x and y?
i am confuse

so before doing anything try writing out the chain rule in full
[tex] \frac{dz(x,y)}{dt} = \frac{\partial z(x,y)}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial z(x,y)}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

lanedance is right, xstetsonx. You are likely to become hopelessly confused if you don't distinguish between derivatives and partial derivatives.

In the first problem, z is a function of x and y, so the derivatives of z with respect to x or y are both partial derivatives. Since x and y are functions of a single variable t, then it makes sense to talk about dx/dt and dy/dt. Ultimately, z is a function of a single variable t, so you can write dz/dt, and its formula is as shown by lanedance.

In the second problem, z is a function of x and y, but x and y are each function of u and v. This means that z is ultimately a function of both u and v, so the chain rule in this case will involve only partial derivatives, and there will be two of them - one for the partial of z with respect to u and one for the partial of z with respect to v.

Here's the one for the partial of z with respect to u.
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial u} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u} [/tex]

I leave it to you to figure out the partial of z with respect to v, [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}[/tex].

so i don't substitute t into dz/dx and dz/dy? and for the second i don't substitute v into dz/dx and dz/dy either? so my answers will contain x,y,t for the first one and x,y,v?

For 1, you can and should do the problem both ways. Getting the same answer for both methods would tend to confirm that you have done the problem correctly.

Please use the proper notation. There is no dz/dx in the first problem, nor is there dz/dy. Click on the partials that I showed in my previous post to see how it is done in LaTeX.

Alternatively, you can use subscripts to indicate partial derivatives, with zx meaning the same thing as [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex].

Related to Chain Rule Examples: Find dz/dt and dz/dv with Substitutions

1. What is the purpose of using the chain rule in these examples?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested inside another. In these examples, the functions dz/dt and dz/dv are composite functions, so the chain rule is used to find their derivatives.

2. How do substitutions play a role in using the chain rule?

Substitutions are used to simplify the composite function so that the chain rule can be applied. In these examples, the substitutions are used to rewrite the functions dz/dt and dz/dv in terms of simpler functions, making it easier to find their derivatives using the chain rule.

3. Can the chain rule be used for any type of composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for any type of composite function, as long as the inner function is differentiable and the outer function is continuous. This means that the chain rule can be applied to a wide range of functions in various fields of mathematics and science.

4. What are some other real-life applications of the chain rule besides finding derivatives?

The chain rule has many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate rates of change in physical systems, determine optimal solutions in engineering problems, and analyze marginal effects in economic models.

5. Is it possible to use the chain rule for higher order derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to find higher order derivatives, also known as second or third derivatives. However, the process becomes more complex as the number of nested functions increases, making it more challenging to find the derivative. In these cases, it may be helpful to use a table or graphing calculator to assist in the computation.