Centroid of a solid of revolution

In summary, the curve 3x^2+2y^2-12y=32 is rotated around the y-axis and forms an ellipsoid. The x and z components of the centroid are 0 and the y component is given by \overline{y}= \frac{\int y dV}{\int dV}. This can be solved using cylindrical coordinates or polar coordinates in the xz-plane, with dV= r sin(\theta)drd\theta dy. Alternatively, the "z" component of the centroid can be found by replacing "y" with "z" in the original equation.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The curve 3x2+2y2-12y=32 is rotated about the x-axis and forms a solid hemisphere.

Verify that the weight is 8cm from the bottom of the hemisphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I can only do a little bit in centroids but that is for just plane surfaces. I do not think I know how to do it when it is rotated.

I thought it would be similar to the formula for centroids like

[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{\int x dA}{\int dA}[/tex]

would be similar to

[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{\int x dV}{\int dV}[/tex]

when rotated. I need some help in doing it.

EDIT:

I considered a cylindrical element of radius x and width dy.
So that the volume of this small element is [itex]dV= \pi x^2 dy[/itex]

Then I should have to take the first moment of volume about the x-axis? (like the first moment of area)
But I am not sure how to take this moment of volume

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rock.freak667 said:

Homework Statement

The curve 3x2+2y2-12y=32 is rotated about the x-axis and forms a solid hemisphere.

Verify that the weight is 8cm from the bottom of the hemisphere.
This makes no sense at all. Rotating 3x2+ 2y2- 12y= 32 around the x-axis does NOT form a "solid hemisphere" and there is no "weight".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I can only do a little bit in centroids but that is for just plane surfaces. I do not think I know how to do it when it is rotated.

I thought it would be similar to the formula for centroids like

[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{\int x dA}{\int dA}[/tex]

would be similar to

[tex]\overline{x}=\frac{\int x dV}{\int dV}[/tex]

when rotated. I need some help in doing it.

EDIT:

I considered a cylindrical element of radius x and width dy.
So that the volume of this small element is [itex]dV= \pi x^2 dy[/itex]
No, it wouldn't be. If a figure is rotated around the x-axis then it would be [itex]\pi y^2 dx[/itex].

Then I should have to take the first moment of volume about the x-axis? (like the first moment of area)
But I am not sure how to take this moment of volume

sorry...I meant rotated around the y-axis.

Rotating that around the y-axis still does not give a "solid hemisphere", it gives an ellipsoid.

It shoule be obvious, by symmetry, that the x and z components of the centroid are 0. Yes, the y component of the centroid is given by
[tex]\overline{y}= \frac{\int y dV}{\int dV}[/tex]

I would recommend doing the integration in cylindrical coordinates except altered to use polar coordinates in the xz-plane rather than the xy-plane. That is, [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= y[/itex], [itex]z= r sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]dV= r sin(\theta)drd\theta dy[/itex]. Alternatively, just replace "y" by "z" in the original equation and find the "z" component of the centroid.

I have never done double/triple integrals as dv is in terms of three differentials. But the question just showed me a picture of a kind of semi-circle and said that was the curve.

Related to Centroid of a solid of revolution

What is the centroid of a solid of revolution?

The centroid of a solid of revolution is the point at which the center of mass of the object is located. It represents the average position of the mass of the object and can be calculated using mathematical formulas.

How do you find the centroid of a solid of revolution?

The centroid of a solid of revolution can be found by using the formula x̄ = (1/A)∫x dA, where x̄ is the x-coordinate of the centroid, A is the area of the object, and x is the distance from the axis of revolution to the element of area dA.

What is the difference between centroid and center of mass?

The centroid and center of mass are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. The centroid represents the average position of the mass of an object, while the center of mass is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated.

What is the significance of finding the centroid of a solid of revolution?

Finding the centroid of a solid of revolution is important in engineering and physics as it helps in determining the stability and balance of the object. It also aids in calculating its moment of inertia, which is crucial in understanding its rotational motion.

Can the centroid of a solid of revolution be outside the object?

Yes, the centroid of a solid of revolution can be outside the object. This typically occurs when the object has an irregular shape or is hollow. In such cases, the centroid can be located in the empty space within the object.