Centripetal force, enough information?

In summary: The tension in the wire and the force of gravity.But in drawing a free body diagram, you'll only show the actual forces acting on the horsey. Hint: There are only two.The tension in the wire and the force of gravity.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

We have a carousel that completes a revolution in 4,0 s. The radius of the carousel disk is 0,8 m and the length of the (massless) rope is 1m. A horsey or whatever weighing 1 kg is hanging from the rope.

Can we from this information extract the velocity of the horsey?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried some trig manipulation but ran into trouble because I have the hypotenuse of one triangle in meters but the side of another in Newtons... I think I fried my brain attempting a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to calculate the circumference of the circle using the radius. That will give you the distance that the whatever will travel in 4 seconds. Then divide that circumference by 4 to yield a velocity in meters per second.

Joseph King said:
You need to calculate the circumference of the circle using the radius. That will give you the distance that the whatever will travel in 4 seconds. Then divide that circumference by 4 to yield a velocity in meters per second.

No the horseys path is much wider. It's hanging freely from the rope.

Then add the length of the rope to the radius of the carousel before calculating the circumference.

The rope will be at an angle so that won't work.

The rope should not be at an angle unless the carousel is accelerating. If the speed at which the carousel remains constant, then the rope should be perpendicular to it.

Joseph King said:
The rope should not be at an angle unless the carousel is accelerating. If the speed at which the carousel remains constant, then the rope should be perpendicular to it.

Noooooooo!:eek:

Why no?

Joseph King said:
Why no?

Centripetal force / acceleration does not depend upon angular acceleration, it depends upon angular velocity.

That's what I was saying. I might have been a little unclear. Also, are we ignoring gravity? That would drastically change the question.

Assuming that there is no angular acceleration (ie the circular disk from which the horsey hangs is not accelerating).
First you must notice that the angular velocity of the of the system, the horsey and the disk is constant. To calculate this we use :

angular velocity = 2(pi)/4 rad per second

Can you work from here ?

Joseph King said:
That's what I was saying. I might have been a little unclear. Also, are we ignoring gravity? That would drastically change the question.

No we are not ignoring gravity, that is precisely why the string would be at an angle.
To help you visualize this better, if there were no gravity, the string would be at exactly zero degrees to the circular disk, in other words exactly parallel to the rotating disk, much like the Earth orbiting the sun .

Ah, I see. That changes everything.

hms.tech said:
Assuming that there is no angular acceleration (ie the circular disk from which the horsey hangs is not accelerating).
First you must notice that the angular velocity of the of the system, the horsey and the disk is constant. To calculate this we use :

angular velocity = 2(pi)/4 rad per second

Can you work from here ?

No, I got that part down. Don't know where to proceed from there though! I think the centripetal force will be the vector sum of the force of gravity and the tension in the wire (am I wrong?). Don't know how to extract the force of tension with the information at hand though :S

Gauss M.D. said:
No, I got that part down. Don't know where to proceed from there though! I think the centripetal force will be the vector sum of the force of gravity and the tension in the wire (am I wrong?). Don't know how to extract the force of tension with the information at hand though :S
Have you drawn a Free Body Diagram? And then applied Newton's 2nd law?

Doc Al said:
Have you drawn a Free Body Diagram? And then applied Newton's 2nd law?

Don't I need to know the radius from the horsey to the center of the carousel to figure out the force acting on the horsey?

Gauss M.D. said:
Don't I need to know the radius from the horsey to the center of the carousel to figure out the force acting on the horsey?
That's one of the things you can solve for. Express it as a function of the angle that the rope makes.

But in drawing a free body diagram, you'll only show the actual forces acting on the horsey. Hint: There are only two.

Related to Centripetal force, enough information?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = m * v2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the rotation of a car's tires while turning, the motion of a rollercoaster around a loop, and the orbit of planets around the sun.

4. How does centripetal force differ from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of a circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that arises due to an object's inertia in wanting to continue in a straight line.

5. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than an object's weight. This is often seen in amusement park rides, where the force of the ride causes objects to feel heavier than their actual weight due to the increased centripetal force acting on them.