The Normal Force on a Carousel: How Does it Affect Weighing Scales?

In summary, the boy is sitting on a carousel, which is spinning. The boy is also sitting on a weighing scale. The mass of the weighing scale is 0. If the carousel starts moving, the normal force will be bigger than the gravity force.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

4lCUkIk.png
[/B]
A boy with a mass of m1 is sitting in a carousel. The spinning frequency is 0.3355. The boy is also sitting on a weighing scale, will they show a number higher than m1g,lower or the same? (The mass of the weighing scale is 0).

Homework Equations

2r=F
ma=F
ω2=4π2f2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand by which forces the weighing scale is affected and all I can think of is by the boy and by the normal force (and the centripetal force, but it doesn't matter here I think). Why they will show a value higher than m1g?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
I am trying to understand by which forces the weighing scale is affected and all I can think of is by the boy and by the normal force (and the centripetal force, but it doesn't matter here I think). Why they will show a value higher than m1g?
Always start with a free body diagram. What forces act on the boy?

What force does the scale measure directly?

jbriggs444 said:
Always start with a free body diagram. What forces act on the boy?

What force does the scale measure directly?

That's what I always do, the scale will show the normal power it will give to the boy I think, but why the value will be higher? I don't think I need to take the tension into consideration here, do I?

Eitan Levy said:
That's what I always do, the scale will show the normal power it will give to the boy I think, but why the value will be higher? I don't think I need to take the tension into consideration here, do I?
See post #2.

jbriggs444 said:
See post #2.
Still can't figure it out.

Eitan Levy said:
Still can't figure it out.
You did not answer the question: What forces act on the boy?

jbriggs444 said:
You did not answer the question: What forces act on the boy?
Normal, gravity and centripetal.

haruspex said:
Centripetal force is not an additional applied force. It is that component of the resultant of the applied forces which leads to the curvature of the path. See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-pseudo-resultant-forces/.
haruspex said:
Centripetal force is not an additional applied force. It is that component of the resultant of the applied forces which leads to the curvature of the path. See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-pseudo-resultant-forces/.
Okay, so the normal force, gravity and tension. Still why it will shot a value higher than m1g?

Eitan Levy said:
the normal force, gravity and tension
Unless the boy is tied to the rope, tension does not act on him.

haruspex said:
Unless the boy is tied to the rope, tension does not act on him.
Thats what I thought. So only gravity and normal? I really have no clue

Eitan Levy said:
only gravity and normal
Right. What is the resultant of those two forces?

haruspex said:
Right. What is the resultant of those two forces?
Not a native speaker, have no idea what resultant is.
Maybe the chair isn't straight anymore after the carousel starts moving and then the normal must be bigger than gravity? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Eitan Levy said:
Maybe the chair isn't straight anymore after the carousel starts moving and then the normal must be bigger than gravity? That's the only explanation I can think of.
The boy is going around on a carousel. That indicates that he is accelerating. Can you account for that with two forces, both of which are vertical?

Eitan Levy said:

It is hard to tell for sure from what the question says as posted. Is the thin line a cable? Is it free to swing out? However, yes, that is the usual assumption, and that is where you get your nonvertical force.

jbriggs444 said:
The boy is going around on a carousel. That indicates that he is accelerating. Can you account for that with two forces, both of which are vertical?
That's why I asked this question here, I was sure the chair is still straight.

Eitan Levy said:
That's why I asked this question here, I was sure the chair is still straight.

The problem has an answer either way, and the answer is different depending on whether or not that vertical line is rigid. If you can't be sure from the problem statement, that is definitely something you want to clarify with the teacher.

Likes Delta2
Cutter Ketch said:
The problem has an answer either way, and the answer is different depending on whether or not that vertical line is rigid. If you can't be sure from the problem statement, that is definitely something you want to clarify with the teacher.
My teacher unfortunately has a no questions policy, that's why I need to ask it here.

To me, the drawing clearly indicates that the [platform supporting the] boy is supported by a rope, chain or cord of some sort.

jbriggs444 said:
To me, the drawing clearly indicates that the [platform supporting the] boy is supported by a rope, chain or cord of some sort.

If I had to guess that would be my guess, but I'd hate to have to guess.

Eitan Levy said:
My teacher unfortunately has a no questions policy, that's why I need to ask it here.

Surely when the question is unclear he/she has a responsibility to correct his/her error. Start with "your question is ambiguous" which he can't ignore and then just point and say, "Is that line rigid or free to swing out?" I find it very unlikely he would refuse to answer.

jbriggs444 said:
I made the same assumption, but I'm no longer sure. Fairground carousels are of both sorts, those where the the seats tip and those where the seats remain upright, the customer relying on other restraints to provide the horizontal acceleration.
Carousels in factories and airport luggage movement tend to be level, relying on friction.
The diagram has an arrow indicating rotation, yet the support is vertical, suggesting a rigid assembly.
As Cutter Ketch observes, the answer depends critically on this.

Related to The Normal Force on a Carousel: How Does it Affect Weighing Scales?

1. What is Newton's first law and how does it apply to a carousel?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that on a carousel, the riders will continue to move in a circular motion at a constant speed unless a force, such as friction or the operator, causes them to stop or change direction.

2. How does Newton's second law apply to a carousel?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net external force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass. On a carousel, the riders experience a centripetal force that causes them to accelerate towards the center of the circle. This force is dependent on the speed of the carousel and the mass of the riders.

3. Is there any relationship between Newton's third law and a carousel?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. On a carousel, this can be seen when the riders push against the outer edge of the carousel, and the carousel pushes back on them with an equal force, keeping them in circular motion.

4. How does the concept of inertia relate to Newton's laws and a carousel?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This concept is closely related to Newton's first law, as it explains why the riders on a carousel continue to move in a circular motion unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Can you explain how the conservation of angular momentum applies to a carousel?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. On a carousel, the riders' angular momentum remains constant as they rotate, unless a force is applied to change their speed or direction of rotation.