Centripetal Acceleration in Satellites Question

In summary, the force that causes the centripetal acceleration of a satellite in orbit is the gravitational force, given by the equation F_{grav} = G \frac{M_Em}{r^2}. By equating this force with the mass of the satellite times the centripetal acceleration, we can solve for the speed of the satellite using the equation a_c = \frac{v^2}{r}.
sarahhhh

Homework Statement

What provides the force that causes the centripetal acceleration of a satellite in orbit?

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm really confused about the answer to this question because in class my teacher only taught us how to solve satellite problems if we are given the distance and we have to find speed http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2097/physicshw7.png .[/URL]
Can someone please help me.. or just explain what i would need to know to get the answer to this problem! thanks sooo much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force that provides the centripetal acceleration for a satellite orbiting in uniform circular motion (that is, the satellite has the same speed at every point on its orbit) is the gravitational force:

[tex] F_{grav} = G \frac{M_Em}{r^2} [/tex]

Where G is the gravitational constant (this is easy to find, its probably in the cover of your textbook), ME is the mass of the earth, m is the mass of the satellite, and r is the distance between the center of the Earth and the satellite.

You know by Newton's Second Law that this gravitational force must equal the mass of the satellite times the centripetal acceleration, and the centripetal acceleration in terms of speed is:

[tex]a_c = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

And so we have:

[tex] G \frac{M_Em}{r^2} = m \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

And now you can solve for the speed. Does that help?

yes! thank you so much :)

Related to Centripetal Acceleration in Satellites Question

What is centripetal acceleration in satellites?

Centripetal acceleration in satellites is the acceleration experienced by a satellite as it orbits around a larger body, such as the Earth. It is directed towards the center of the orbit and is responsible for keeping the satellite in its circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated for satellites?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration in satellites is a = v^2/r, where "a" is the acceleration, "v" is the velocity of the satellite, and "r" is the radius of the orbit.

What factors affect the value of centripetal acceleration in satellites?

The value of centripetal acceleration in satellites is affected by the mass of the satellite, the mass of the larger body it orbits, and the distance between the two bodies. A larger mass or a smaller distance will result in a higher centripetal acceleration.

How does centripetal acceleration in satellites differ from regular acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration in satellites is a special type of acceleration that is always directed towards the center of the orbit. This is different from regular acceleration, which can be in any direction.

Why is centripetal acceleration important for satellites?

Centripetal acceleration is important for satellites because it is necessary to maintain their orbit around a larger body. Without it, the satellite would either drift away or crash into the larger body.