Exploring Centripetal Acceleration on a Hypothetical Planet

In summary, the conversation discussed a question regarding an imagined planet with a given acceleration at its equator and a dropped object's acceleration at the same location. The question also asked about determining the length of a day on this planet. The solution involved subtracting the two given accelerations to find the centripetal acceleration, which can be derived using a vector triangle.
rrosa522

Homework Statement

Imagine another planet with an acceleration of 10.00 m/s^2 at its equator when ignoring the rotation of the planet. The radius is 6.2 x10^6 m. An object dropped at the equator yields an acceleration of 9.70 m/s^2. Determine the length of 1 day on this planet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher taught me how to solve this question, but there is just one step I don't understand
10.00m/s^2 - 9.70m/s^2 = 0.3m/s^2 (centripetal acceleration)
why does subtracting these two values give us the centripetal acceleration??
On a test, if I get a similar question I know I have to subtract the two values, but I really want to learn the reason behind it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to derive the formula for centripetal acceleration in terms of velocity, using a vector triangle showing the change in velocity over a small increment of time ##\delta t##? A similar construction can be used to justify the above formula. There's a ##\cos\delta\theta## factor in there that is approximated by 1 to get the above formula.

Related to Exploring Centripetal Acceleration on a Hypothetical Planet

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly related. Centripetal acceleration is the result of a centripetal force acting on an object, causing it to move in a circular path. The magnitude of the centripetal force is given by F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the object.

3. How is centripetal acceleration affected by the radius of the circle?

As the radius of the circle decreases, the centripetal acceleration increases. This is because the velocity of the object remains constant but the radius decreases, resulting in a smaller denominator in the formula a = v^2/r.

4. How would centripetal acceleration be different on a hypothetical planet with a stronger gravitational force?

On a hypothetical planet with a stronger gravitational force, the centripetal acceleration would also be stronger. This is because the force needed to keep an object moving in a circular path is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational force.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle, so it is always positive or zero. If the object is moving in a straight line or its velocity is zero, then the centripetal acceleration is zero.