Center of percussion of a baseball bat

In summary: Therefore, just use the impulse J and Newton's second law to find the velocity of the center of mass, also known as the linear impulse-momentum theorem. And use the impulse J and the definition of angular momentum to find the angular velocity, also known as the angular impulse-momentum theorem.
CricK0es

Homework Statement

A baseball rests on a frictionless, horizontal surface. The bat has a length of 0.900m, a mas of 0.800kg, and its center of mass is 0.600m from the handle end of the bat (see figure below). The moment of inertia of the bat about its center of mass is 0.0530 kg.m^2. The bat is struck by a baseball traveling perpendicular to the bat. The impact applies an impulse

$$J= \int_{t1}^{t2} F dt$$

at a distance x from the handle end of the bat. What must x be so that the handle end of the bat remains at rest as the bat begins to move? (Hint: consider the motion of the center of mass and the rotation about the center of mass. Finc x so that these two motions combine to give v=0 for the end of the bat just after the collision. Also, remember that . The point on the bat you have located is called the center of percussion. Hitting a
pitched ball at the center of percussion of the bat minimizes the "sting" the batter experiences on the hands.

Homework Equations

$$J= \int_{t1}^{t2} F dt$$

Standard equation for torque[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

This involves both translation and rotational steps. In order to make v = 0, the bat must move in such a way, so as to counteract the rotation. This isn't a homework question, just one I've found in a book and I'm unsure how to proceed. I would appreciate someone explaining how the answer of 0.710m is found. I have a class test in a few days and I want to try and cover as many of my bases as possible. Many thanks[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
First things first: Given the impulse, how can you find the resulting speed of the center of mass and the rotational speed about the center of mass?

Likes CricK0es
Integral of the force= the impulse, will be equal to m(V2-V1) with V1 being equal to zero (Centre of mass). The rotational speed I'm not too sure... Could we divide the impulse by Δt and multiply by the distance x, to get torque. Then integrate that between t2 and t1 to get angular momentum, for which, L = I . ω ?

CricK0es said:
Integral of the force= the impulse, will be equal to m(V2-V1) with V1 being equal to zero (Centre of mass).
Good.

CricK0es said:
The rotational speed I'm not too sure... Could we divide the impulse by Δt and multiply by the distance x, to get torque. Then integrate that between t2 and t1 to get angular momentum, for which, L = I . ω ?
Exactly. Make sure you are taking the torque about the center of mass.

Once you have those squared away, what do you think the criteria would be for the handle end of the bat to be not moving after the collision? (You'll need to combine those two motions.)

Likes CricK0es
The magnitude of Vcm and Vtan (Velocity of centre of mass/tangential) will need to be the same at that point, but in opposite directions, or is that an over simplification? I understand that the two velocities cancel one another out... But how would I go about calculating that?

CricK0es said:
The magnitude of Vcm and Vtan (Velocity of centre of mass/tangential) will need to be the same at that point, but in opposite directions, or is that an over simplification?
Good. That's all there is to it.

CricK0es said:
I understand that the two velocities cancel one another out... But how would I go about calculating that?
How would you calculate Vtan? (Use ω.)

Likes CricK0es
So it's just using v=rω? Okay, I'll have a run through it tomorrow and see if I have any more luck.Thanks

CricK0es said:
So it's just using v=rω?
Yep.

CricK0es said:
Okay, I'll have a run through it tomorrow and see if I have any more luck.
Good!

I know this is from ages ago, but I only just got around to doing it. I got it working with x = 0.710m! So thank you. I really appreciate it

how does the part where we integrate torque with respect to time work without time values?

nathane14dur said:
how does the part where we integrate torque with respect to time work without time values?
If you study the thread you will see that no integral was performed. It suffices to consider the impulse, J, as a whole. It supplies both a change in linear momentum and a change in angular momentum.

1. What is the center of percussion of a baseball bat?

The center of percussion (COP) of a baseball bat is the point on the bat where hitting the ball produces the least amount of vibration or shock to the hands. It is also known as the "sweet spot" of the bat.

2. How is the center of percussion of a baseball bat determined?

The center of percussion of a baseball bat is determined by finding the point of maximum balance on the bat. This can be done by suspending the bat horizontally and tapping it at various points until the point of minimum vibration is found. This point is then marked as the center of percussion.

3. Why is the center of percussion important in baseball?

The center of percussion is important in baseball because hitting the ball at this point on the bat produces the most efficient transfer of energy, resulting in longer and more powerful hits. It also reduces the risk of hand injuries caused by shock or vibration from off-center hits.

4. Does the center of percussion vary for different types of baseball bats?

Yes, the center of percussion can vary for different types of baseball bats depending on factors such as weight, length, and material. However, most modern baseball bats are designed to have the center of percussion close to the center of the bat.

5. How can knowing the center of percussion help improve a player's performance?

Knowing the center of percussion can help players improve their performance by allowing them to adjust their grip and swing to hit the ball at this point on the bat. This results in more powerful hits and a lower risk of hand injuries, ultimately leading to better overall performance on the field.