Center of mass variable ambiguity

In summary, the equations given in the textbook for finding the center of mass for an object involve integrating over the x, y, and z coordinates of each point in the body. However, the problem the student is facing is not knowing how to find the x, y, and z coordinates of the center of mass for a rod and sphere, so they look to find Ic for each separately and then add them together.
QD311

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand the equations given in my textbook (Principles of Physics, Ninth International Edition) for finding the center of mass. The equations are given below. They're used to find the x, y, and z components of the center of mass for objects. I'm trying to interpret them in the framework of a problem given to us, where we had to calculate the moment of inertia of a rod of mass M, with a solid sphere of mass 2M attached at the end, with the axis of rotation through the center of the rod and sphere (a rough approximation of a baseball bat).

Homework Equations

[tex]{ x }_{ com }=\frac { 1 }{ M } \int { x\quad dm } ,\quad y_{ com }=\frac { 1 }{ M } \int { y\quad dm } ,\quad { z }_{ com }=\frac { 1 }{ M } \int { z\quad dm }[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is, that I have no idea what to put in for the 'x', 'y' and 'z' variables in the integral equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi QD311!Welcome to PF! :smile:
QD311 said:
… I have no idea what to put in for the 'x', 'y' and 'z' variables in the integral equations.

That's just the x y and z coordinates of each point in the body.

But why do you want the centre of mass (and why are you integrating)? :confused:

Why not just use the standard moment of inertia formulas for a rod and for a sphere, together with the parallel axis theorem?

The Library gives this equation:

[tex] I\quad =\quad { I }_{ C }\quad +\quad m{ d }^{ 2 } [/tex]

Where d is the distance from the combined center of mass. That's where my problem lies, I don't know how to find that combined center of mass. Especially with two objects that aren't the same (a rod and solid sphere in this case). Could I simply treat each object as a particle, of mass M and 2M on an axis (which is the axis of rotation) to find the combined center of mass?

QD311 said:
… we had to calculate the moment of inertia of a rod of mass M, with a solid sphere of mass 2M attached at the end, with the axis of rotation through the center of the rod and sphere (a rough approximation of a baseball bat).
QD311 said:
The Library gives this equation:

[tex] I\quad =\quad { I }_{ C }\quad +\quad m{ d }^{ 2 } [/tex]

Where d is the distance from the combined center of mass. That's where my problem lies, I don't know how to find that combined center of mass.

Yes, but that's assuming you already know what Ic is.

You know Ic for a sphere, and you know Ic for a rod, so find I for each separately (about the given axis), and add. :smile:

(the moment of inertia of a composite body is the sum of the moments of inertia of its parts, about the same axis)

As a scientist, it is important to understand the principles and equations involved in solving a problem. In this case, the equations given in your textbook are used to find the center of mass for objects, which is an important concept in physics. The equations may seem complex, but they are essential in solving problems involving the center of mass.

In order to understand the equations better, it is important to first understand the concept of center of mass. The center of mass is the point at which an object can be balanced or the point where the mass of an object is evenly distributed. This point is often located at the geometric center of an object, but can also vary depending on the distribution of mass.

Now, in the problem given to you, you are asked to find the moment of inertia of a rod with a solid sphere attached to the end. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around a particular axis. In this case, the axis of rotation is through the center of the rod and sphere.

To use the equations given in your textbook, you need to understand that the variables 'x', 'y', and 'z' represent the coordinates of each infinitesimal mass element (dm) that makes up the object. In other words, you need to take into account the distribution of mass in the object and integrate over the entire object to find the center of mass.

In summary, the equations given in your textbook are essential in finding the center of mass of an object and can be applied to solve problems involving rotational motion. It is important to carefully consider the distribution of mass in an object and integrate over the entire object to find the center of mass. With a clear understanding of these principles, you should be able to successfully solve the problem given to you.

Related to Center of mass variable ambiguity

1. What is the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity?

The Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity is a phenomenon in physics where there is uncertainty or ambiguity in determining the exact location of the center of mass of a system. This can occur due to various factors such as the shape or distribution of mass in the system, or external forces acting on the system.

2. How does the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity affect measurements?

The Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity can affect measurements by introducing errors or inaccuracies in determining the position, velocity, or momentum of the system. This can result in discrepancies between expected and observed values, and can impact the reliability of experimental data.

3. What are some examples of systems affected by the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity?

Some examples of systems that can be affected by the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity include objects with irregular shapes, systems with multiple moving parts or components, and systems subject to external forces such as friction, air resistance, or gravity.

4. How can the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity be minimized or eliminated?

The Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity can be minimized or eliminated by using more precise measurement techniques, considering all factors that may affect the system's center of mass, and conducting multiple trials to calculate an average value. Additionally, simplifying the system or reducing external forces can also help reduce ambiguity.

5. Why is it important to consider the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity in scientific experiments?

Considering the Center of Mass Variable Ambiguity in scientific experiments is important because it can significantly impact the accuracy and validity of results. Ignoring this ambiguity can lead to incorrect conclusions or misleading data, which can hinder progress in scientific understanding and research.