What is the Approximate Torque on a Baseball Bat Held Horizontally?

In summary, the approximate torque due to gravity on a horizontally held bat with a pivot point at the hands can be calculated using the formula t = dF, where d is the lever arm and F is the force of gravity. For a uniform bat with length L and mass m, the correct formula is (Lmg)/2.
disque

Homework Statement

A baseball player holds a bat at the end of the handle. If the bat is held horizontally, what is the approximate torque due to the force of gravity on the bat, with a pivot point at the batter's hands? Assume that the the bat is uniform. Use L for length of the bat, m for mass and g for acceleration due to gravity.

Homework Equations

t=d(lever arm)F

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was just lmg and that was wrong so I tried lm-g and that was wrong as well so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it (lmg)/2 :)

I would like to clarify that torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In this case, the axis of rotation is at the batter's hands. The formula for torque is t = r x F, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the magnitude of the force.

In this scenario, the force of gravity is acting on the bat, and the point of application is at the center of mass of the bat. Therefore, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application is half the length of the bat (L/2).

The formula for torque can be rewritten as t = r x mg, where r = L/2 and mg is the weight of the bat. Substituting these values, we get t = (L/2) x mg = (Lmg)/2. This is the approximate torque due to the force of gravity on the bat, with a pivot point at the batter's hands.

I would also like to mention that the units for torque are Newton-meters (Nm). Therefore, the final answer would be in Nm units. I hope this helps clarify the concept of torque and how it applies to this scenario.

Related to What is the Approximate Torque on a Baseball Bat Held Horizontally?

1. What is torque on a baseball bat?

Torque on a baseball bat is the measure of the force that causes rotational motion around an axis, in this case, the axis of the bat. It is influenced by the force applied to the bat, the distance from the point of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

2. How does torque affect a baseball bat?

Torque affects a baseball bat by determining its rotation and speed when hitting a baseball. The greater the torque, the faster the bat will rotate and the more force it will have when making contact with the ball.

3. What factors influence torque on a baseball bat?

The force applied to the bat, the distance from the point of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied all influence the torque on a baseball bat. Additionally, the weight and length of the bat can also affect the torque.

4. Can torque on a baseball bat be increased?

Yes, torque on a baseball bat can be increased by increasing the force applied to the bat, moving the point of rotation closer to the end of the bat, and applying the force at a sharper angle.

5. How does torque on a baseball bat affect hitting power?

Torque on a baseball bat directly affects hitting power. The greater the torque, the more force the bat will have when making contact with the ball, resulting in a more powerful hit. This is why players often focus on increasing their bat speed and torque when training for hitting power.