CC to University: Deciding Between UCLA & UCI

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jboeding
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation revolves around a student trying to decide between UCLA and UCI for their undergraduate studies as a Biology major. They discuss the pros and cons of each school, with UCLA being the more prestigious and academically strong option, while UCI is more convenient and affordable. The student is debating whether to take a bio class or Calc 3 in the fall and is seeking advice from others. Ultimately, it is recommended to prioritize academics and choose UCLA, with Calc 3 not being a major concern.
Jboeding
Hey everyone,

Just to start off, I love this board! I love the family vibe the site gives off. You are all so very rational, so I couldn't have picked a better group of people to ask, haha. Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

I am a Bio major (General/ecology) with a spanish minor, currently at a community college in orange county. The only schools i am considering are UCLA and UCI. I am having a hard time picking between the two. UCI is guaranteed, UCLA is 99% guaranteed due to TAP Certification.

UCI:
Pros:
- Convenient, can commute
- No rent
- Cooked dinners, ha!
- Do not need to take Calc 3 (ha, no hate to any of you).
- Automatically enrolled in their honor's program (not a big deal).
- Close to my dogs

Cons:
- Not the best ecology program, so I would probably do general biology
- Not very diverse
- No very prestigious
- I don't find the campus to be totally appealing, although it does have it's pretty places.

UCLA:
Pros:
- Prestige
- Really cool Ecology program (a quarter abroad to do research).
- Very diverse (which I love)
- Beautiful campus (New bio building :O)

Cons:
- Requires Calc 3
- Requires rent
- So **** big
- Probably have to leave my three dogs with my parents, :(

From an academic stand point, UCLA would probably be the best, but from a financial perspective, UCI would definitely be cheaper. I plan on going to Graduate School for at least a masters (UC Davis). Does this play a role in deciding which school to choose? If so, why?

What do you all suggest doing? I am taking Calc 2 this summer, so jumping straight into Calc 3 in the Fall would be a wise decision. I have to decide within the next two weeks to either take a bio class, or Calc 3. I am signed up for both at the moment. I could always take Calc 3 later on, if things change, but it's better now since I am fresh.

Thanks everyone,
- Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
Jboeding said:
Hey everyone,

Just to start off, I love this board! I love the family vibe the site gives off. You are all so very rational, so I couldn't have picked a better group of people to ask, haha. Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

I am a Bio major (General/ecology) with a spanish minor, currently at a community college in orange county. The only schools i am considering are UCLA and UCI. I am having a hard time picking between the two. UCI is guaranteed, UCLA is 99% guaranteed due to TAP Certification.

UCI:
Pros:
- Convenient, can commute
- No rent
- Cooked dinners, ha!
- Do not need to take Calc 3 (ha, no hate to any of you).
- Automatically enrolled in their honor's program (not a big deal).
- Close to my dogs

Cons:
- Not the best ecology program, so I would probably do general biology
- Not very diverse
- No very prestigious
- I don't find the campus to be totally appealing, although it does have it's pretty places.

UCLA:
Pros:
- Prestige
- Really cool Ecology program (a quarter abroad to do research).
- Very diverse (which I love)
- Beautiful campus (New bio building :O)

Cons:
- Requires Calc 3
- Requires rent
- So **** big
- Probably have to leave my three dogs with my parents, :(

From an academic stand point, UCLA would probably be the best, but from a financial perspective, UCI would definitely be cheaper. I plan on going to Graduate School for at least a masters (UC Davis). Does this play a role in deciding which school to choose? If so, why?

What do you all suggest doing? I am taking Calc 2 this summer, so jumping straight into Calc 3 in the Fall would be a wise decision. I have to decide within the next two weeks to either take a bio class, or Calc 3. I am signed up for both at the moment. I could always take Calc 3 later on, if things change, but it's better now since I am fresh.

Thanks everyone,
- Jacob

If these are your two options, I'd recommend UCLA. Academics should be top priority in choosing a school. As for Calc 3, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Calc 2 is definitely the toughest (unless you have a particularly hard time visualizing in 3D, in which case Calc 3 can be a bit tougher; on the other hand, the graphing utilities these days are amazing, and can really help you out). Particularly if you want to go to grad school, the better undergrad program you do, the better your chances are for getting into a grad program.

Related to CC to University: Deciding Between UCLA & UCI

What are the main differences between UCLA and UCI?

The main differences between UCLA and UCI are their locations, size, and academic programs. UCLA is located in Los Angeles, while UCI is located in Irvine. UCLA is also a larger university with over 30,000 undergraduate students, while UCI has around 30,000 total students. In terms of academic programs, UCLA is known for its strong programs in the arts, humanities, and social sciences, while UCI is known for its science and engineering programs.

Which university has a better reputation?

Both UCLA and UCI have strong reputations as top universities in the country. Overall, UCLA has a slightly higher ranking and is often seen as the more prestigious school. However, both universities have highly respected programs and degrees that are valued by employers.

What is the cost difference between UCLA and UCI?

UCLA and UCI both have similar costs for in-state students, with tuition and fees averaging around $15,000 per year. However, UCLA's cost of living in Los Angeles may be higher than UCI's cost of living in Irvine. For out-of-state students, UCLA's tuition and fees are significantly higher, making UCI a more affordable option.

Which university offers better opportunities for research and internships?

Both UCLA and UCI offer excellent opportunities for research and internships. UCLA has a larger research budget and offers a wider range of research opportunities, especially in the arts and humanities. UCI, on the other hand, has a strong focus on hands-on learning and offers many opportunities for internships and experiential learning in fields like science and engineering.

What factors should I consider when deciding between UCLA and UCI?

When deciding between UCLA and UCI, it's important to consider factors such as location, academic programs, cost, reputation, and opportunities for research and internships. It's also important to think about your personal preferences and which university feels like the best fit for you. Visiting both campuses and talking to current students can also help you make a decision.