Cauchy-Riemann Conditions in Polar Coordinates

In summary: Thank you for pointing that out.In summary, the conversation discusses how to use f(z) = f(re^iθ) = R(r,θ)e^iΩ(r,θ) to show the Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates, which become ∂R/∂r = (R/r)∂Ω/∂θ. The solution involves using the chain rule and setting two derivatives with R and Ω constant equal to each other. This will result in two expressions, one imaginary and one real, which can be manipulated to get the final answer.
bluebandit26

Homework Statement

Using f(z) = f(re^iθ) = R(r,θ)e^iΩ(r,θ), show that the Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates become

∂R/∂r = (R/r)∂Ω/∂θ

Homework Equations

Cauchy-Riemann in polar coordinates
Hint: Set up the derivative first with dz radial and then with dz tangential

The Attempt at a Solution

df/dz = (∂R/∂r)(∂r/∂z)e^iΩ + R(∂Ω/∂θ)(∂θ/∂z)e^iΩ

Now, I have no idea what dz tangential should be. I'm guessing that I should set the radial df/dz equal to the tangential df/dz, but I have no idea about the tangential or if my radial is right. Functionals are confusing to me, and complex functionals even more so.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was originally correct, but my logic was flawed. One should take the derivative of the functional with respect to z. Then, by the product rule, you have two terms. When R is constant -- the tangential derivative -- one term is eliminated and vice versa. Set the two derivatives equal to each other, since it is an analytic functional. Then, your dz should have two terms as well, a real and imaginary component; You can eliminate some terms from your equality using this result and the chain rule.

where i can find the solution of

Using f(z) = f(re^iθ) = R(r,θ)e^iΩ(r,θ), show that the Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates become ∂R/∂r = (R/r)∂Ω/∂θ

If you know the coordinate change between standard reals and polars,it then comes

down to using the chain rule from f(x,y) to f^(r,θ)

Yes, you use the chain rule for both derivatives, but you take the derivative once with R constant, and again with Ω constant. You should now be left with two expressions: one is imaginary, and one is real. Drop the i, and set the two equal together and manipulate to get the answer. Sorry if I wasn't clear seven months ago.Looking at my original reply, I think it was pretty clear, actually.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right, my bad.

Related to Cauchy-Riemann Conditions in Polar Coordinates

1. What are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates?

The Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates are a set of equations that describe the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex-valued function in terms of polar coordinates. They state that the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts with respect to the radial and angular variables must satisfy certain conditions for the function to be analytic.

2. How are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions derived in polar coordinates?

The Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates can be derived from the Cauchy-Riemann equations in Cartesian coordinates by using the chain rule and the conversion formulas for polar coordinates. This results in a set of four equations, two for the real part and two for the imaginary part, which must be satisfied for a function to be analytic in polar coordinates.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates?

The Cauchy-Riemann conditions in polar coordinates are important because they provide a necessary and sufficient condition for a complex-valued function to be analytic in polar coordinates. This means that if a function satisfies these conditions, it can be written as a power series and can be differentiated and integrated term by term, making it easier to analyze and solve problems involving complex functions.

4. Can the Cauchy-Riemann conditions be used to determine if a function is analytic in polar coordinates?

Yes, the Cauchy-Riemann conditions are a useful tool for determining if a function is analytic in polar coordinates. If the conditions are satisfied, the function is analytic. If not, the function is not analytic and cannot be written as a power series. This can be especially helpful in evaluating complex integrals and solving boundary value problems.

5. Are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions sufficient for a function to be analytic in polar coordinates?

Yes, the Cauchy-Riemann conditions are sufficient for a function to be analytic in polar coordinates. This means that if a function satisfies these conditions, it is also differentiable and has continuous partial derivatives of all orders. However, it is important to note that the converse is not true. A function may have continuous partial derivatives and still not satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions, making it non-analytic in polar coordinates.