Partial Derivatives and Polar Coordinates

In summary, the function z=e^x+yx^2 has partial derivatives dx/dr and dy/dr that depend on polar coordinates (r, theta).
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Write the chain rule for the following composition using a tree diagram:
z =g(x,y)
where x=x(r,theta) and y=y(r,theta). Write formulas for the partial derivatives dz/dr and dz/dtheta. Use them to answer: Find first partial derivatives of the function z=e^x+yx^2, in polar coordinates, that is find dz/dr and dz/dtheta as a function of polar coordinates (r, theta).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tree diagram was relatively simple
g extends to x and y. x and y both extend to r and theta.

**all "d's" symbolize partial derivatives**
dz/dr = dg/dx*dx/dr+ dg/dy*dy/dr
dz/dtheta = dg/dx*dx/dtheta+dg/dy*dy/dtheta

Ok.
So
partial x = e^x+2yx
partial y = x^2

Now the problem I'm having trouble with is taking the partial derivative of the polar coordinate functions.
If I am right, then:
x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)
Taking the partial derivatives dx/dr and dy/dr the answers would be cos(theta) for x and sin(theta) for y, as we treat these as 'constants'.
From here it is merely a plug-n-chug.

Is this correct? Do you have any opinions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
dz/dr = dg/dx*dx/dtheta+ dg/dy*dy/dr
Why is [itex] \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/itex] missing?

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, typo, it should be dx/dr instead of dx/dtheta. My apologies.

OK. So we have [itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial g}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial g}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x} [/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial g}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial g}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y} [/itex]...

I'm not quite sure why you are using that.

I believe this would be correct, no?:

So if x=x(r,theta) and y=y(r,theta) then x=rcos(theta) and y=rcos(theta) ??

RJLiberator said:
So if x=x(r,theta) and y=y(r,theta) then x=rcos(theta) and y=rcos(theta) ??
Not quite...
RJLiberator said:
I believe this would be correct, no?:
OK.

Likes RJLiberator
How could I make it correct? I feel like the x=rcos(theta) is a very important part of the problem. Why is it wrong?

RJLiberator said:
How could I make it correct? I feel like the x=rcos(theta) is a very important part of the problem. Why is it wrong?
It isn't wrong. Look at your entire statement.

Likes RJLiberator
Ugh, another typo. Apologies. y=rsin(theta).
So, if these are right, then their respective derivatives are
cos(theta) with respects to dx/dr
sin(theta) dy/dr
and -rsin(theta) dx/dtheta
rcos(theta) dy/dtheta

And then it's just plugging into the chain rule equations with the partial derivatives of the g function.

Related to Partial Derivatives and Polar Coordinates

What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to one of the variables, while holding all other variables constant. They represent the rate of change of the function in a specific direction.

How are partial derivatives calculated?

Partial derivatives are calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to the specific variable, while treating all other variables as constants. This results in a new function, where the variable of interest is now the only variable.

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle from a reference line (known as the polar angle or azimuth). They are often used in situations where it is more convenient to describe locations in terms of distance and direction, rather than x and y coordinates.

How do you convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y), you can use the following formulas: x = r*cos(θ) and y = r*sin(θ). To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the formulas: r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = arctan(y/x).

What is the relationship between partial derivatives and polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the partial derivatives are calculated using the polar coordinate system. This means that instead of taking the derivative with respect to x and y, we take the derivatives with respect to r and θ. This relationship allows us to use polar coordinates to simplify calculations involving partial derivatives.