Career that lets you travel lots/to remote locations?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's career choices and interests. They are currently in their final year of an MSci in Physics with a focus on Particle Physics and Cosmology. They originally planned to pursue a PhD in detector R&D, but are now considering other options as they prefer hands-on work rather than computer-based jobs. They are interested in careers that involve travel, fieldwork, and hands-on work. Some potential options discussed include geophysics, volcanology, and aerospace engineering. They also mention the potential for travel and hands-on work in the particle detector upgrade projects they are currently involved in. Other suggestions mentioned are the geophysical offshore industry, particularly in the renewable energy sector.
Alissa95
At the moment I am about to enter my final year of an MSci Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmolgy. My final year project will have me working on particle detector R&D (looking at designs and radiation hard technologies to upgrade LHCb's ECAL). The natural progression from that was to do a phd involving detector R&D, and up until a week ago that's what I had decided to do. I can't remember what happened but now I am not 100% that's what I want to do.
I guess one of the reasons is because it is all computer work, and I have never wanted to have a computer based job. Some computing is fine (and inevitable) but I always imagined I'd get a more hands on job, being in a laboratory or doing fieldwork. So now I'm looking at alternatives. I understand that if I do decide to move away from particle physics that I will probably need to do another masters degree in the new subject.
So I'm looking at careers that will let me travel lots, take measurements and/or install equipment. Anything hands on.
I've considered geophysics as from what I understand it can involve a lot of fieldwork, even to remote locations like the antarctic. I was interested in volcanology as a child, however, looking at degree programs none of them are grabbing my interest.
I've also considered aerospace engineering (more specifically astronautics and space science) as I'm very interested in space travel (the dream is to be an astronaut - extremely unlikely but I'm still going to take a stab at it) but from what I understand it's all computer work, you design the spacecraft /etc but you don't build it.

So what careers have I not considered that would let me at the very least travel a bit, even if it still has a fair amount of computer work.

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be a lot of lab work involved in the ECAL upgrade and other particle detector upgrade projects. The hardware has to be built after all. Okay, the LHCb upgrade will be installed soon, but there is still the HL-LHC upgrade. ATLAS and CMS plan large upgrades for this phase, with research done now and construction starting in the next 1-2 years.
There is a lot of travel involved for meetings, to exchange expertise how to build things and so on.

IceCube sends several PhD students to the South Pole, some of them stay for the winter.

You could consider the geophysical offshore industry. Sure, the oil industry is not that strong at this moment, but the renewable energy sector is doing better. So there are vacancies from time to time. It still involves quite a lot of computer work, but you for sure get to travel to remote locations and vessels.
. Not always populated places (harbors are not always social places), but you get to see a lot. Salaries are not too bad (low tax rates). From time to time really hands-on jobs when you are doing geotechnical sampling.

Related to Career that lets you travel lots/to remote locations?

1. How can I find a career that allows me to travel frequently?

There are many careers that involve travel, such as consulting, sales, and journalism. You can also look for jobs in industries like tourism, international relations, or archaeology that may require you to visit different locations.

2. What skills do I need to have for a career that involves travel?

Some important skills for a travel-oriented career include adaptability, communication, and cultural sensitivity. You may also need to be organized, able to work independently, and comfortable with unfamiliar situations.

3. Are there any specific educational requirements for a travel-based career?

The educational requirements can vary depending on the specific job and industry. Some careers may require a specific degree, such as a degree in business or a foreign language. However, many travel-based careers value experience and skills just as much as formal education.

4. How do I balance work and personal life when traveling frequently for my career?

This can be a challenge, but it's important to set boundaries and prioritize self-care. Make sure to communicate with your employer about your needs and try to schedule breaks and downtime during your travels. Use technology to stay connected with loved ones and make time for hobbies and activities that bring you joy.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of a career that involves frequent travel?

Travel-based careers can be exciting and fulfilling, but they also come with some challenges. These may include being away from loved ones, dealing with jet lag and long flights, and navigating cultural differences. It's important to weigh these potential drawbacks against your desire for adventure and exploration to determine if a travel-based career is the right fit for you.