Car with counterweight: Dynamics

In summary, The conversation is about a problem involving equations, forces, and masses in a physics scenario. The person is trying to understand why their method of solving the problem is incorrect, despite getting the correct answer. They also discuss the effects of applying brakes on the acceleration and tension in the system. The other person explains that the two masses should be considered together when calculating forces and acceleration.
yolo123
Hi,
There is something weird here:
Please look at problem and solution.

When I set my equations:
2000a=2000gsin(30°)-T
1800a=-1800gsin(20°)+T

I add them up:
3800a=2000gsin(30°)-1800gsin(20°)
a=1m/s^2

Now I want to equilibriate the car:
The force of brakes=-2000a=-2000a=-2000N.

But the book has a different answer. I understand their method. But why is my method wrong? Please try to explain to me in detail clearly. I have difficulty understanding.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 4.48.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 4.48.48 PM.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 462
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 4.49.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 4.49.03 PM.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
What total mass is affected by applying the brakes?

2000 kg!

This is what I did. Can you be more specific?

Hmm. That's weird. I get the right answer if I plug 3800kg. But, why is just looking at the car (2000kg) wrong!?

yolo123 said:
Hmm. That's weird. I get the right answer if I plug 3800kg. But, why is just looking at the car (2000kg) wrong!?
Does applying the brakes affect the acceleration of the counterweight?

I think it does not.

yolo123 said:
I think it does not.
So, even with the brakes applied, the counterweight will accelerate up the slope, making the cable go slack?

Oh no. It will not. The rope stays taught. But the brakes still apply force only on the car.

yolo123 said:
Oh no. It will not. The rope stays taught. But the brakes still apply force only on the car.
Sure, but that reduces the tension in the cable, so slowing the acceleration of the counterweight. The reduced tension means you have to apply the brakes harder than you thought because the counterweight isn't pulling back as hard.
As long as the cable is taut, the situation is no different from the two masses being connected by a rod, as a truck with a trailer. You need to add their masses when calculating acceleration forces.

Related to Car with counterweight: Dynamics

1. How does the counterweight affect the dynamics of a car?

The counterweight of a car plays a crucial role in maintaining balance and stability of the vehicle. It helps to distribute the weight evenly and prevent the car from tipping over, especially during sharp turns and sudden movements. It also reduces the amount of force required to move the car, making it more efficient.

2. How does the placement of the counterweight impact the car's performance?

The placement of the counterweight is important for achieving optimal performance. If it is too far back, it can cause the front of the car to lift up, resulting in loss of traction and control. If it is too far forward, it can cause the car to be front-heavy, affecting its handling and maneuverability. The counterweight should be placed in a position that evenly distributes the weight and maintains balance.

3. What are the different types of counterweights used in cars?

The most common type of counterweight used in cars is a ballast weight, which is a heavy metal or concrete block placed strategically in the vehicle to improve its dynamics. Other types of counterweights include springs, dampers, and sway bars, which help to control the suspension and reduce body roll during turns.

4. How does the counterweight affect the car's center of gravity?

The counterweight lowers the car's center of gravity, which is the point where the weight of the car is evenly distributed. This makes the car more stable and less prone to rolling over. A lower center of gravity also improves handling, as it reduces body roll and increases traction.

5. How can the counterweight be adjusted to improve the car's dynamics?

The counterweight can be adjusted by adding or removing weight, or by changing its position within the car. This can help to fine-tune the car's handling and balance, making it more responsive and stable. Adjustments can also be made to the suspension and other components to further optimize the car's dynamics.