Car coming to a stop kinematics problem

In summary, the acceleration of a car during braking is given by magnitude bt, where b = 1.5m/s^3 and t is the time in seconds from the instant the car begins braking. Using kinematics equations, we can find the time it takes for the car to come to a complete stop and the distance it travels before stopping. However, since the acceleration is not constant, we must use calculus to integrate and find the equations for velocity and displacement. By correctly integrating, we can find that the car comes to a stop after approximately 232 meters.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particular car during braking has magnitude bt, where t is the time in seconds from the instant the car begins braking, and b = 1.5m/s3. If the car has an initial speed of 45m/s , how far does it travel before it stops?

Homework Equations

There are two equations that are relevant, I think
[itex]\vec{v_{f}}=\vec{v_{i}} + \vec{a} t[/itex]
and
[itex]\vec{d}=\vec{v_{i}} t + \frac{1}{2} \vec{a} t^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I then used the first equation to find the time it took for the car to come to a complete stop, or vf = 0.
[itex] 0 = 45 (m/s) - (1.5 (m/s^{3}) t) (t) [/itex]
Simplifying and solving for t I got, [itex] t = \sqrt{30} s [/itex]

Using this in my second equation, [itex]\vec{d}=45 (m/s) \sqrt{30} s + \frac{1}{2} -(1.5 (m/s^{3})* \sqrt{30}) 30[/itex]

Using my calculator I got 123 m/s, or 120 m/s in two significant figures like the problem asked. However, this was not right apparently. Please point my vector in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org
Those kinematics equations you memorised hold only for constant acceleration. So if a is varying, those equations hold only for a brief time, Δt, and you must use calculus. You will see this if you sketch the graphs, so I suggest that you first work through this problem using graphs, areas under graphs, and/or slopes of graphs. Do it all graphically. Then consider how you could perform those same operations using maths.

Good luck!

Likes 1 person
Your equations are applicable if a is constant, which it is not.
You have to revert to the definitions of a and v and re-do the integration.

You are given acceleration.

The integral of acceleration with respect to time is velocity. The integral of velocity with respect to time is position.

NascentOxygen said:
Those kinematics equations you memorised hold only for constant acceleration. So if a is varying, those equations hold only for a brief time, Δt, and you must use calculus. You will see this if you sketch the graphs, so I suggest that you first work through this problem using graphs, areas under graphs, and/or slopes of graphs. Then consider how you could perform those same operations using maths.

Good luck!

Okay, so acceleration is a straight, decreasing line and therefore the slope of the line is -1.5. Then integrating the equation for acceleration (-1.5 t) I got [itex]\frac{-1.5}{2} t^{2} + C = \vec{v}_{f}[/itex] and when time is zero, C is vi, so the equation for the final velocity is [itex]\frac{-1.5}{2} t^{2} + \vec{v}_{i} = \vec{v}_{f} [/itex]. And integrating that for time, I get displacement and, to spare words, I won't explain the work and I got [itex]\frac{-1.5t^{3}}{6} + \frac{\vec{v}_{i}}{2} t^{2} = \vec{d} [/itex] (I ignored putting the initial height, which I got the arbitrary constant to be because I put the origin in the problem at where the person starts braking. So solving for time I got [itex] t = 2\sqrt{15} [/itex] and using this to find distance I got ~1233.8 meters, which I think makes no sense. I don't want any more points deducted, so how else would I go about finding out if I'm wrong? My intuition tells me that braking distance >1 km makes absolutely no sense, but some of the answers on here have been more weird so I don't know.

I actually used an internet calculator to find my answer of 1233.8 meters, and I must have made an error when I typed it in cause when I went by hand I got 232.37 m and that answer makes more sense to me, but not by much cause I don't think it should take 232.37 m to come to a stop.

Last edited:
Where did the t^2 come from on the velocity part of your position equation? It should be a single t. Check your integration. Initial velocity does not change with time.

Edit: you would have caught your mistake with a unit analysis. Always carry units in your calculations.

Feodalherren said:
Where did the t^2 come from on the velocity part of your position equation? It should be a single t. Check your integration. Initial velocity does not change with time.

Edit: you would have caught your mistake with a unit analysis. Always carry units in your calculations.

I may have gotten a little excited when typing that part of the equation in LaTeX :P, I finally gathered all my courage and put my answer of ~232 m into the problem and it accepted it as right. Thank you everyone for your help!

Related to Car coming to a stop kinematics problem

1. What is a car coming to a stop kinematics problem?

A car coming to a stop kinematics problem involves using principles of kinematics to calculate the motion of a car as it decelerates and comes to a complete stop. This type of problem often includes information such as initial velocity, final velocity, and distance traveled.

2. What are the key equations used in solving a car coming to a stop kinematics problem?

The key equations used in solving a car coming to a stop kinematics problem are the equations of motion, including:
- v = u + at (final velocity equals initial velocity plus acceleration multiplied by time)
- s = ut + 1/2at^2 (distance equals initial velocity multiplied by time plus one-half acceleration multiplied by time squared)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as (final velocity squared equals initial velocity squared plus two times acceleration multiplied by distance)

3. How do you determine the acceleration of a car coming to a stop?

To determine the acceleration of a car coming to a stop, you can use the equation a = (v - u) / t, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time it takes to come to a stop. Alternatively, you can use the equation a = (v^2 - u^2) / 2s, where s is the distance traveled.

4. What factors can affect the deceleration of a car coming to a stop?

The deceleration of a car coming to a stop can be affected by factors such as the braking force applied, the mass of the car, and the surface condition of the road. Other factors, such as air resistance and the condition of the car's brakes, can also play a role in the deceleration.

5. Can you use the same equations to solve a car coming to a stop on an incline?

Yes, the same equations of motion can be used to solve a car coming to a stop on an incline. However, in this case, the acceleration due to gravity (g) must also be taken into account. The equation for calculating acceleration becomes a = gsinθ, where θ is the angle of the incline.