Cancelling Vectors: A=B? Is it Legal?

In summary, cancelling rules work for vectors, but there are some restrictions on what matrices can be cancelled out from.
tandoorichicken
Do cancelling rules work for vectors? For example, if you had
[tex]A\vec{x} = B\vec{x}[/tex]
could you cancel out the x's and be left with A = B? Is that legal?

edit: A and B are matrices. Does this make a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's fill in some missing steps and then the answer to this question will become clearer.

[tex]A\vec{x}=B\vec{x}[/tex]
[tex]A^{-1}A\vec{x}=A^{-1}B\vec{x}[/tex]
[tex]I\vec{x}=I\vec{x}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{x}=\vec{x}[/tex]

Now let me ask you: What did I have to assume in order to write each line?

So the assumption was that the matrix A = the matrix B. So then we could take the inverse of each to form the identity matrix on each, and then it followed that Ix = Ix so x=x. So then if we assume that matrices are basically just equivalents of multi-column vectors, and we can cancel them out from both sides, then we should be able to do the same for vectors.

Is that right?

You're right that I had to assume that [itex]A=B[/itex] in order to get [itex]A^{-1}B=I[/itex].

So then if we assume that matrices are basically just equivalents of multi-column vectors, and we can cancel them out from both sides, then we should be able to do the same for vectors.

Is that right?

No, there's more to it than that. In the second line I had to assume that [itex]A[/itex] is invertible. And as you would have learned from class, nonsquare matrices are not invertible. So the matrices [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] can't just be any collection of column (or row) vectors.

Note that the case that [itex]A[/itex] is not invertible includes the case that [itex]A=0[/itex] (the zero matrix). In that case the equation [itex]A\vec{x}=B\vec{y}[/itex] is satisfied if [itex]\vec{y}=\vec{0}[/itex] (the zero vector) and [itex]B[/itex] is any matrix of appropriate dimensions. Note that [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is not necessarily equal to [itex]\vec{y}[/itex] in this case.

Related to Cancelling Vectors: A=B? Is it Legal?

1. What does it mean to "cancel" vectors A and B?

Cancelling vectors A and B means to perform a mathematical operation in which the components of vector A are subtracted from the components of vector B, resulting in a new vector with a different magnitude and direction.

2. Why would someone want to cancel vectors A and B?

Cancelling vectors A and B is useful in situations where we want to determine the resultant vector of two or more individual vectors. By cancelling out opposing vectors, we can determine the net effect of all the vectors on an object.

3. Is it legal to cancel vectors A and B?

Yes, it is legal to cancel vectors A and B as long as the vectors are in the same dimension and are being added or subtracted. This is a common operation in vector mathematics and is used in many applications.

4. What happens to the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector after cancelling vectors A and B?

The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector will depend on the specific values and directions of vectors A and B. In some cases, the resultant vector may have a larger magnitude and a different direction, while in other cases it may have a smaller magnitude and the same direction.

5. Can vectors A and B be cancelled if they are not in the same dimension?

No, vectors A and B must be in the same dimension in order to be cancelled. This means that they must have the same number of components and be in the same direction. If they are not in the same dimension, they cannot be added or subtracted and therefore cannot be cancelled.