Can you do integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without reduction formula?

In summary: Glad I could help. In summary, the integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) can be solved using integration by parts after rewriting it in terms of sec(x).
aselin0331

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If so, would it be integration by parts? I tried splitting it up in way too many ways to post them on here.

Thanks for any hints!

Physics news on Phys.org
aselin0331 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If so, would it be integration by parts? I tried splitting it up in way too many ways to post them on here.

Thanks for any hints!
First, get everything in terms of sec(x).
[tex]\int sec^5(x)tan^2(x)dx = \int sec^7(x) - sec^5(x)dx = \int sec^7(x)dx - \int sec^5(x)dx [/tex]

Use integration by parts on both integrals on the right. For the first u = sec5(x) and dv = sec2(x) dx. For the second integral, u = sec3(x) and dv = sec2(x) dx.

I haven't taken this all the way through, but I'm reasonably sure it will work. You will probably need to solve for your integral algebraically.

You're fantastic! I was staring at Sec^7 and sec^5 for a while and that just clicked in!

Thanks

Aw shucks!

Related to Can you do integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without reduction formula?

1. Can you explain the concept of "integral" and "reduction formula" in this context?

"Integral" refers to the process of calculating the area under a curve on a graph. In this case, we are specifically looking at the integral of the function sec^5(x)tan^2(x). A "reduction formula" is a mathematical technique used to simplify or reduce the complexity of an integral.

2. Is it possible to solve the integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without using a reduction formula?

Yes, it is possible to solve the integral without using a reduction formula. However, it may be more time consuming and require more complex calculations compared to using a reduction formula.

3. How do you approach solving the integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without a reduction formula?

One approach is to use the power reducing identities for secant and tangent, such as sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x), to rewrite the integral in a simpler form. Another approach is to use trigonometric substitution, where we substitute u = tan(x) or u = sec(x) to transform the integral into a more manageable form.

4. Can you provide an example of solving the integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x) without a reduction formula?

One example is using the power reducing identity sec^2(x) = 1 + tan^2(x). We can rewrite the integral as ∫ sec^3(x)sec^2(x)tan^2(x)dx. Then, using the substitution u = tan(x), we get ∫ sec^3(x)(1 + u^2)du. From here, we can use integration by parts to solve the integral.

5. What are the advantages of using a reduction formula to solve the integral of sec^5(x)tan^2(x)?

The main advantage of using a reduction formula is that it simplifies the integration process and reduces the number of steps required to solve the integral. This can save time and make the calculations more manageable, especially for more complex integrals. Additionally, using a reduction formula allows us to apply the same technique to solve other similar integrals, making the process more efficient and consistent.