Relativistic Doppler Color Shift of White Light from Sun

In summary, the Sun would appear different colors to observers traveling at varying relativistic velocities.
TJonline
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out exactly what colors a white light (i.e. the Sun) would look like to an observer traveling at varying relativistic velocities. Yes, moving away from it - red shift. Moving towards it - blue shift. In more detail, the human eye has a limited varying-amplitude bandwidth that it can perceive between red to violet. The Sun emits a bandwidth including and extending beyond the human visual color range. With motion away from the Sun, the Sun's apparent emission band shifts some ultraviolet into the perceptible violet or blue and some perceptible red drops off into the imperceptible infrared and all wavelengths in between shift as well. With motion toward the Sun, the Sun's apparent emission band shifts some infrared into the perceptible red/orange range and some blue/violet is shifted into the imperceptible ultraviolet. Has anyone come across an actual study of what the Sun would actually look like in terms of human perception of color with such motions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll go check it out right now. My guess is (before looking) that it would appear much the same. I may simply study what RGB light (combined so as to appear white) would look like under such conditions rather than the more complex spectrum of the Sun. Otherwise, I guess I'd need to know what the perception band looks like, and then what the Sun's emission band looks like, then figure out how what we see is the product of both, and then figure out how a shifted emission band would look when similarly combined.

Appendum: Looked it over. Looks like basically what I need. Now, "I will a little tink". ;-)
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Related to Relativistic Doppler Color Shift of White Light from Sun

1. How does the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift affect the color of white light from the Sun?

The Relativistic Doppler Color Shift is a phenomenon that causes a shift in the perceived color of light due to the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. In the case of white light from the Sun, the light waves are stretched or compressed depending on the relative motion, resulting in a shift towards the red or blue end of the spectrum.

2. What causes the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift in white light from the Sun?

The Relativistic Doppler Color Shift is caused by the relative motion between the source of light (in this case, the Sun) and the observer. This motion can be either towards or away from the observer, resulting in a shift towards the red or blue end of the spectrum, respectively.

3. How is the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift of white light from the Sun measured?

The Relativistic Doppler Color Shift is typically measured using a spectrometer, which separates the different wavelengths of light in a spectrum. By analyzing the position and intensity of the spectral lines, scientists can determine the amount of shift in the color of white light from the Sun.

4. Does the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift of white light from the Sun have any practical applications?

Yes, the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift is commonly used in astronomy to study the motion and properties of celestial objects. It is also utilized in satellite communication and navigation to account for the shift in signal frequency caused by the relative motion between the satellite and the Earth.

5. Can the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift of white light from the Sun be observed on Earth?

Yes, the Relativistic Doppler Color Shift of white light from the Sun can be observed on Earth. However, the effect is relatively small and can only be detected using precise instruments such as spectrometers. It is not noticeable to the naked eye.