Can vibration be used to uniformly mix a solution?

• Thread starter MotionStudy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of vibration to achieve a uniform suspension of an insoluble solid in a liquid solution. The participants mention using vibration for mixing and breaking suspensions and provide a link for more information. They also inquire about any laws or formulae associated with this phenomenon.
MotionStudy
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if vibration (likely acoustic) could be used to achieve a uniform suspension of an insoluble solid within a liquid solution? It seems completely reasonable to me, but I'm unable to find any information on the topic. I'm planning on getting in a lab to test it soon. Can anyone offer insight on what to expect or where to look for research in this area?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use it to make suspensions, and to break suspensions.
http://engineeringworks.tamu.edu/2012/mixing-and-unmixing/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link Bystander. Do you know of any laws associated with this phenomenon? For example, say I give you the density and volume of a liquid and a solid in a solution. I want to achieve a uniform suspension (illustration C) of the solid within the liquid. What kind of frequency must I introduce and at what magnitude? I know there are established formulae to achieve this with a blade stirrer, is there an established way to relate this to vibration?

Related to Can vibration be used to uniformly mix a solution?

1. Can vibration be used to mix solutions of different viscosities?

Yes, vibration can be used to mix solutions of different viscosities. Vibration causes the molecules in a solution to move and collide with each other, leading to mixing regardless of the solution's viscosity.

2. What type of vibration is most effective for mixing solutions?

Sonication, or high-frequency vibration, is the most effective type of vibration for mixing solutions. This type of vibration creates intense pressure waves that can break apart molecules and promote mixing.

3. Can vibration be used to mix solutions with solid particles?

Yes, vibration can be used to mix solutions with solid particles. The vibration creates a force that helps to suspend the particles in the solution, allowing for more efficient mixing.

4. Are there any limitations to using vibration for mixing solutions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using vibration for mixing solutions. For example, some solutions may be sensitive to intense vibration and may break down or change in composition. Additionally, certain types of vibration may not be suitable for mixing solutions with very high viscosities.

5. What are the benefits of using vibration for mixing solutions?

Using vibration for mixing solutions has several benefits. It is a quick and efficient method that can uniformly mix solutions in a short amount of time. It also does not require any additional equipment or tools and can be easily controlled and adjusted for different types of solutions.