Can the Modulus Rule Be Reversed?

In summary, the modulus rule states that if a_n is a convergent sequence, then |a_n| is also convergent and lim |a_n| = |lim a_n|. However, the reverse (or converse) of this rule is not true. This means that there exist sequences that do not converge, but their absolute values do converge. An example of such a sequence is (-1)^n. This is confirmed by the fact that the statement "If |a_n| converges, then a_n converges and lim |a_n| = |lim a_n|" does not hold true for this sequence. Therefore, the modulus rule cannot be reversed.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

Give an example to show that the modulus rule cannot be reversed. Hence give an example of a divergent sequence ([itex]a_{n}[/itex]) such that (|[itex]a_{n}[/itex]|) is convergent.

Homework Equations

The modulus rule is;

"Let [itex]a_{n}[/itex] be a convergent sequence.

(|[itex]a_{n}[/itex]|) is convergent, then

lim|[itex]a_{n}[/itex]| = |lim[itex]a_{n}[/itex]|"

n is an element of the natural numbers of course, and the limit is the limit as n tends to infinity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what it means by "reverse" of this rule. I assumed originally that it meant give an example of a divergent sequence that wouldn't work, but the "hence" bit afterwards would suggest I have to do the same thing twice, which I'm guessing isn't right. I also have another "show the reverse doesn't work for this rule" question before it, but I'm not entirely sure what is meant by reverse.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reverse (more technically the "converse") would be "If [itex]|a_n|[/itex] converges, then [itex]a_n[/itex] converges and [itex]lim |a_n|= | lim a_n|[/itex]". To show that is NOT true, find a sequence that does NOT converge but the absolute value does not converge.

HallsofIvy said:
The reverse (more technically the "converse") would be "If [itex]|a_n|[/itex] converges, then [itex]a_n[/itex] converges and [itex]lim |a_n|= | lim a_n|[/itex]". To show that is NOT true, find a sequence that does NOT converge but the absolute value does not converge.

Thanks for the reply. But is the bolded bit right? The "but" you put suggested to me you meant to say "does" as opposed to "does not". If that's true, then e.g. [itex](-1)^n[/itex] would be my example. I'm just confused as to why my example sheet says "Hence" show there's is a divergent sequence ([itex]a_n[/itex]) such that |[itex]a_n[/itex]| is convergent, I assume he meant "in other words" as opposed to "hence"?

Yes, that was a typo. It should have been "does converge". And, I think you have a good point about "in other words" rather than "hence".

Related to Can the Modulus Rule Be Reversed?

1. What is the reverse of modulus rule?

The reverse of modulus rule is a mathematical principle that states that if the remainder of a division operation is known, the original numbers can be determined by using the modulus operator.

2. How is the reverse of modulus rule used in real life?

The reverse of modulus rule is commonly used in cryptography and computer science, where it is used to generate large random numbers and to calculate the original numbers from a remainder or hash code.

3. What is an example of the reverse of modulus rule?

An example of the reverse of modulus rule is finding the original numbers from a given remainder and divisor. For instance, if the remainder is 3 and the divisor is 7, the original numbers could be 10 and 17.

4. What are the benefits of using the reverse of modulus rule?

The reverse of modulus rule allows for efficient and secure calculations in various fields, such as cryptography and computer science. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data by providing a way to verify and validate calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to the reverse of modulus rule?

While the reverse of modulus rule is a useful principle, it does have some limitations. It can only be used when the remainder and divisor are known, and it may not work with certain types of numbers or in certain mathematical operations.