Can statistics be manipulated to support both true and false arguments?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, statistics can be easily misrepresented to prove both true and false arguments, depending on how they are used. This is because proper statistical models require a strict application of techniques and assumptions, which is not well known by most people. However, the math itself is not dishonest and only becomes misleading when misrepresented by individuals.
Loren Booda
Would you agree that statistics can be mathematically misrepresented to prove most related arguments both true and false?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
Would you agree that statistics can be mathematically misrepresented to prove most related arguments both true and false?

Data mining allows any statistical result.

Depends on what you mean by misrepresented. You can certainly prove whatever you want with lies, but I don't think that's what you mean...

I would say that proper statistical models usually rely on a very strict application of techniques and assumptions. It is an area that is not well known by most people so it is very easy to use them improperly. It is no different than any other form of mathematics. People misrepresent statistics. The math does not lie.

FredGarvin said:
I would say that proper statistical models usually rely on a very strict application of techniques and assumptions. It is an area that is not well known by most people so it is very easy to use them improperly. It is no different than any other form of mathematics. People misrepresent statistics. The math does not lie.
That's what I needed to hear.

Loren Booda said:

If you mean use a statistic in such a way which is dishonest/incorrect, but which the average, non-statistically minded person, would accept as a correct use of the statistic, then I would agree it can often be used this way. I do not know if one could say 'always'.

Related to Can statistics be manipulated to support both true and false arguments?

What is the duplicity of statistics?

The duplicity of statistics refers to the potential for statistical information to be manipulated or misinterpreted in order to support a certain argument or agenda. This can occur through selective reporting of data, biased sampling methods, or misrepresentation of statistical findings.

Why is the duplicity of statistics a concern?

The duplicity of statistics is a concern because it can lead to false or misleading conclusions being drawn from data. This can have serious consequences in decision-making, policy-making, and public perception.

How can we identify the duplicity of statistics?

Identifying the duplicity of statistics requires careful examination of the data and methods used to collect and analyze it. It is important to look for any potential biases or flaws in the study design, as well as considering the source and potential motivations behind the statistics being presented.

How can we prevent the duplicity of statistics?

Preventing the duplicity of statistics requires transparency and ethical practices in data collection and reporting. This includes using unbiased sampling methods, clearly stating any limitations or potential biases in the data, and avoiding selective reporting of results.

What can individuals do to protect themselves from the duplicity of statistics?

Individuals can protect themselves from the duplicity of statistics by being critical consumers of information. This involves asking questions about the source of the statistics, examining the methods used to collect and analyze the data, and seeking out multiple perspectives on a topic.