Can someone suggest a good trigonometry book to learn trigonometry ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the openstax book Algebra And Trigonometry for learning trigonometry, with the speaker expressing a desire for better books. Another participant suggested the book Precalculus, 7th Edition by David Cohen, Theodore B. Lee, and David Sklar as a good resource. The speaker also mentioned finding a pdf version of the book and enjoying it. It was then suggested to learn trigonometry through encountering applications, such as solving geometry problems and studying physical applications like sine and cosine functions. These suggestions were noted as personal opinions.
Thendi79
I tried the openstax book Algebra And Trigonometry but i wish there was some better books that teaches trigonometry , anything else i should tried to read ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow i just read some similar threads asking for a trigonometry book , then saw someone suggesting this book .
Precalculus, 7th Edition -Cengage Learning (2011) David Cohen, Theodore B. Lee, David Sklar .

I got a copy of this book in a pdf format from a place and i like it already .

Thanks

Trigonometry in itself indeed has very limited use, so I recommend learning trigonometry through encountering applications. Two different types of such applications - a purely geometric one and a physical one.

For the geometric application aspect, it's best to solve difficult geometry problems. I recommend some easy problem books for maths competitions or Olympiads.

For the physical application aspect, you can google up the sine and cosine functions and how the waves are modeled by, say, sin(kx-wt). Very nice examples include basic simple harmonic motion, standing wave, etc.

Note that all suggestions above are my personal and biased opinion :)

Related to Can someone suggest a good trigonometry book to learn trigonometry ?

1. What is the best way to learn trigonometry?

The best way to learn trigonometry is by using a good trigonometry book. A good book will provide clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you understand and master the concepts.

2. What should I look for in a good trigonometry book?

A good trigonometry book should have a comprehensive coverage of the subject, clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems with solutions, and visual aids such as diagrams and graphs to help you visualize the concepts.

3. Can you recommend a specific trigonometry book?

There are many good trigonometry books available, so it ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "Trigonometry for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, "Trigonometry" by I.M. Gelfand and Mark Saul, and "Trigonometry: A Complete Introduction" by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling.

4. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of mathematics to learn trigonometry?

Having a basic understanding of algebra and geometry can be helpful, but it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of mathematics to learn trigonometry. A good trigonometry book will provide a review of necessary concepts and build upon them as you progress through the material.

5. Can I learn trigonometry on my own with a good book?

Yes, you can definitely learn trigonometry on your own with the help of a good book. However, it is always beneficial to have a teacher or tutor to guide you and answer any questions you may have. It is also important to practice regularly and seek help when needed.