Can someone me factorise a fraction (u-2)(-u^2 +3u +2)

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with a topic called differential equations. They are trying to factorize a given fraction in order to integrate it more easily. They have made some progress in factorizing, but are unsure how to put it all together. The conversation then shifts to solving a differential equation using a change of variables, and the person is seeking help with this process. The expert then provides a general solution for decomposing a fraction in order to integrate it.
laura_a

Homework Statement

I am working on a topic called differential equations, and I am stuck on some working out.

2. Homework Equations [/b]

Can someone please help me to factorise the following fraction (u-2)(-u^2+ 3u+ 2)
I have to integrate it, and I know I can without factorising, but it is so messy, my professor said to factorise the fraction so it looks a bit like a1/(bu+ c)+ a2/(du+ e)

Well that's what the professor said, I have no idea what it means... I can factorise as far as
= u/(-u^2 +3u +2) - 2/(-u^2 +3u +2)

And I know that -u^2 +3u +2 = (-u + 1)(u-2) +4

But not sure how to put it all together

Here is the working out for the whole question just in case you're interested
[tex]
\begin{align*}
y' &= \frac{y+2x}{y-2x} \\
Let y &= ux \\
\text{Then we have} y' &= \frac{ux + 2x}{ux - 2x} \\
&= \frac{u+2}{u-2} \\
\text{Now } y' &= \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d(ux)}{dx} = x \frac{dy}{dx} + u \\
\text{So we can say that} x \frac{du}{dx} + u& = \frac{u+2}{u-2} \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{u+2}{u-2} - u \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{u+2}{u-2} - \frac{u^2-2u}{u-2} \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{u+2- u^2+2u}{u-2} \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{-u^2+3u+2}{u-2} \\
\end{align*}
\bigskip
[/tex]

Then I have to integrate both sides of this equation...which is what I think I need to factorise in order to make it nice and neat

[tex]
\frac{u-2}{-u^2 + 3u + 2}du &= \frac{1}{x} dx
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
laura_a said:

Homework Statement

I am working on a topic called differential equations, and I am stuck on some working out.

2. Homework Equations [/b]

Can someone please help me to factorise the following fraction (u-2)(-u^2+ 3u+ 2)
I have to integrate it, and I know I can without factorising, but it is so messy, my professor said to factorise the fraction so it looks a bit like a1/(bu+ c)+ a2/(du+ e)

Well that's what the professor said, I have no idea what it means... I can factorise as far as
= u/(-u^2 +3u +2) - 2/(-u^2 +3u +2)

And I know that -u^2 +3u +2 = (-u + 1)(u-2) +4

But not sure how to put it all together

Here is the working out for the whole question just in case you're interested
[tex]
\begin{align*}
y' &= \frac{y+2x}{y-2x} \\
Let y &= ux \\
\text{Then we have} y' &= \frac{ux + 2x}{ux - 2x} \\
&= \frac{u+2}{u-2} \\
\text{Now } y' &= \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d(ux)}{dx} = x \frac{dy}{dx} + u \\
\text{So we can say that} x \frac{du}{dx} + u& = \frac{u+2}{u-2} \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{u+2}{u-2} - u \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{u+2}{u-2} - \frac{u^2-2u}{u-2} \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{u+2- u^2+2u}{u-2} \\
x \frac{du}{dx} &= \frac{-u^2+3u+2}{u-2} \\
\end{align*}
\bigskip
[/tex]

Then I have to integrate both sides of this equation...which is what I think I need to factorise in order to make it nice and neat

[tex]
\frac{u-2}{-u^2 + 3u + 2}du &= \frac{1}{x} dx
[/tex]

That can't be factored using integer coefficients but you know that if an expression factors as (x-a)(x-b) then a and b must be roots of (x-a)(x-b)= 0. Use the quadratic formula to find the roots of x2- 3x- 2= 0.

Try completing the square of [tex]-u^2+3u+2[/tex]. Then use a simple algebraic identity to decompose it into partial fractions.

I think I've gotten a little closer, The question I'm trying to do is to solve a d.e. using change of variables, so once I get this part worked out I should be able to get it

So this is how far I've gone
Since [tex] u^2- 3 u -2= 0 [/tex]
has two roots
[tex] u_1 = (3+ 17^{0.5})/2, u_2= (3- 17^{0.5})/2 [/tex]

so

[tex] u^2- 3 u -2= (u - (3+ 17^{0.5})/2 ) (u- (3- 17^{0.5})/2 ) [/tex]

Originally I had
[tex] \frac{u-2}{-u+3u+2}du = \frac{1}{2}dx [/tex] - I'll call this equation (2)
So now I've got the LHS as

[tex] S = -u /((u - (3+ 17^{0.5})/2 ) +2 /(u- (3- 17^{0.5})/2 ) [/tex]
I changed the u-2 to -u+2 since I made a similar change on the denominator in order to solve it...

Anyhow, I integrated that and ended up with something really messy invloving logs

[tex] -2(u + 17^{0.5} ln(u-17^{0.5}-3)+3ln(u-17^{0.5}-3)-17^{0.5}-3+4ln(u+17^{0.5}-3) = ln(x) + C [/tex]

(I integrated both sides of equation (2) above)

Well the prob is now, I'm probably wrong anyway, but the next step is to solve for u, and then I have to sub back in the original change of varaible which was y=xu and end up with an expression for y in terms of x and C... before I go on, can anyone tell me if I should bother working through those logs, or is it wrong? Thanks :)

Let us take this as a GENERAL case, shal we?
We are to decompose:
[tex]\frac{u-u_{0}}{(u-u_{1})(u-u_{2})}=\frac{A}{u-u_{1}}+\frac{B}{u-u_{2}}[/tex]
where the unindexed u is our variable, the indexed u's known numbers, and A and B constants to be determined.
We therefore must have:
[tex]u-u_{0}=A(u-u_{2})+B(u-u_{1})[/tex], or by comparing coefficients, we get the system of equations:
[tex]A+B=1[/tex]
and
[tex]u_{2}A+u_{1}B=u_{0}[/tex]
whereby we arrive at the solutions:
[tex]A=\frac{u_{0}-u_{1}}{u_{2}-u_{1}},B=\frac{u_{2}-u_{0}}{u_{2}-u_{1}}[/tex]

This is much simpler than using specific numbers!

Related to Can someone me factorise a fraction (u-2)(-u^2 +3u +2)

1. How do I factorise a fraction?

The process of factorising a fraction involves breaking it down into simpler fractions that can be multiplied together to get the original fraction. This is typically done by finding common factors in the numerator and denominator and cancelling them out.

2. What are the steps for factorising a fraction?

The first step is to check if the fraction can be simplified by cancelling out any common factors. Then, try to factorise the remaining numbers in the numerator and denominator. Finally, multiply the resulting fractions together to get the simplified fraction.

3. Can someone help me factorise a specific fraction?

Yes, factorising a fraction can be a tricky process and it is common to seek help from others. You can ask a friend, teacher, or even use an online calculator to assist in the process.

4. How do I factorise expressions with variables?

When factorising expressions with variables, the same principles apply as with numerical fractions. Look for common factors in the coefficients of the variables and cancel them out. You can also use methods such as grouping or the quadratic formula to factorise more complex expressions.

5. What is the purpose of factorising a fraction?

The main purpose of factorising a fraction is to simplify it and make it easier to work with. This can be particularly useful in algebraic equations, where factorising can help to solve for unknown variables or simplify complex expressions.