Can Self-Study Propel an Aspiring Astrophysicist to PhD Success?

• Thread starter MailCourier
  • Start date
In summary, self-study can certainly help an aspiring astrophysicist achieve success in pursuing a PhD. By taking the initiative to learn and understand complex concepts on their own, individuals can demonstrate their passion and dedication for the field. However, self-study alone may not be enough to guarantee success, as formal education and research experience are also important factors in becoming a successful astrophysicist. It is important for aspiring astrophysicists to strike a balance between self-study and formal education in order to reach their goals.
MailCourier
Hello, Physics Forums! Allow me to introduce myself. I am currently in high school (11th grade) and I want to get a PhD in Physics someday, specifically in astrophysics.

I have been interested in Astronomy and Physics since I was a young child. I have read books on the two subjects for as far back as I can remember. However, it was only last year that I have had a serious interest in the subject, when I started to self study Mathematics. My goal is to teach myself Calculus 1, 2, and 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra in the next year or two.

I joined this forum for two reasons: to get advice and help for self studying, and to talk to very experienced people. I look forward to having insightful and interesting conversations on this forum.

Besides Astronomy, Physics, and Mathematics, I am also interested in Computer Science and Programming. For now I want to learn html, css, javascript, and python. I also like philosophy as well.

Some of my miscellaneous interests include gaming, specifically the Fallout series. I also like to have discussions and debates about politics and religion (although I will avoid those types of discussions here).

I will probably not be very active on this forum, but I probably will stop to get help with my studies. I do really hope that I will have a positive impact on this forum, and when I become more knowledgeable, I will try to help other people when needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
MailCourier said:
For now I want to learn html, css, javascript, and python. I also like philosophy as well.
Me too!

A warm welcome to PF.

In order to help you start out here, the following are the three main sections in PF. You should explore them well:

1. The main forums, that you see in the first page.
2. Insights Blog, available at the top row (header section). It contains articles that help in learning topics to a great extent.
3. The Videos, also available in the header section. The media gallery now has some great videos in almost every aspect in science, and they provide an audio-visual learning experience.

The last one is very helpful for learning, in addition to the first one. In the media gallery, you will find sections on calculus, linear algebra, astronomy and several other branches of Physics and Maths. There are a number of lecture courses, which I would recommend to you, so as to help you in your learning process. Check out the media gallery. You'll surely find something of interest there.

Enjoy your time here.

With regards,
Wrichik.

Likes YoungPhysicist