Can physics deal with the existence of Pi?

In summary: There is no physical circle, it simply does not exist. It's always a model (path of motion), and if realized (circles in the sand), not round anymore under an electron microscope.No, there is an experiment to determine the value of ##\pi##. However, it's not as horrifying as it seems. It's just a matter of taking measurements to see if the value of ##\pi## agrees with some theoretical predictions.
Personally I'm a big fan of A Perfect Circle, since they exist, Pi must exist as well.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
The question whether numbers are "discovered" or "invented" is a philosophical question, like "does a perfect circle somehow exist as an idea that is independent of humans thinking about it".

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
Gordianus said:
When I was 10/11 (memory fails), I "measured" Pi with a piece of string, several pipes and a ruler. A mathematician may scream, but I still remember it as a wondeful "experiment".
At that age, it would have been pointless to hit you with the maths involved in calculating Pi so it was a 'timely' experiment. It could have been one of the first time that you got to learn the meaning of the term "accurate enough".

Science is always finding itself at the interface between when we measure / observe and what Maths tells us. Good Maths and Good experimentation will often make that interface very thin. Otoh, there are times (Chaos Theory, for instance) where the boundary is very wide in places.

It can get very uncomfortable to try to reconcile maths with what we find in Science. There seem to be some basic ideas in Maths - like Symmetry - where the Maths seems magically to predict what we find in Physics. Sometimes. I'm glad to have been an Engineer because Engineers don't lose sleep over things like that. Using Maths as a black box is an experience at a reassuring level. It's when you start to worry about "what things really are" that the pain can come on.

Likes hutchphd and vanhees71
Arjan82 said:
Personally I'm a big fan of A Perfect Circle, since they exist, Pi must exist as well.
I just measured Pi from their logo, as 4.

• Skeptical
Likes Arjan82
berkeman said:
Wait, are you saying that @etotheipi is negative? I find him to be quite positive. :wink:
You may have found the essential test to distinguish physics and mathematics: in the real world @etotheipi is a positive individual but mathematically he is a negative one. Or, as your very smart President has observed with respect to physical (COVID) tests, a negative one is really a positive one.

AM

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes hutchphd, vela and etotheipi
I mean, hey, at least I'm real!

Likes PhDeezNutz, sophiecentaur and PeroK
Here’s a bit of whimsy. Pi is not a rational number but it is still a ratio. You could wonder which of the two numbers is rational and which is transcendental. 🤔
No sensible replies please.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
sophiecentaur said:
Here’s a bit of whimsy. Pi is not a rational number but it is still a ratio. You could wonder which of the two numbers is rational and which is transcendental. 🤔
No sensible replies please.
Just move to Indiana where the squared circle nearly had circumference 32 and diameter 10.

Likes sophiecentaur and PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
Just move to Indiana where the squared circle nearly had circumference 32 and diameter 10.
There’s irrational and there’s irrational. And IT’S VOTING DAY in some places in the World.

So, Pi is a number. Numbers are real, but not physical. Pi can be calculated mathematically, without there need for space. Yet, Pi can be calculated by physical means, even though a circle does not exist in space/physics. That's what I'm understanding. So, when we "see" in space a circle, that is our mind saying that. A physical circle an interpretation of the mind.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
richard9678 said:
So, Pi is a number. Numbers are real, but not physical. Pi can be calculated mathematically, without there need for space. Yet, Pi can be calculated by physical means, even though a circle does not exist in space/physics. That's what I'm understanding. So, when we "see" in space a circle, that is our mind saying that. A physical circle an interpretation of the mind.
Regardless of what pi "is", its decimal digits still begin with 3.14159... The rest is philosophy.

The same sort of thing might be said of circles. We may not find anything which "is" a perfect circle, but we can physically measure how much various physical objects deviate from being one. That is good enough for practical purposes.

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
The relationship of Pi to Science is no different, in principle, from 2, Root 2 , minus 2 or any other number. Thing is that Maths gives accurate predictions about what happens in Science. That is sufficient justification to be using it. It's so much more useful than "Nature abhors a vacuum" ever was.

Likes vanhees71 and nasu
I think perfect circles are pointless.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and jbriggs444
cmb said:
I think perfect circles are pointless.
If I get your point, I think you are speaking about a pointed point and not a set of points that are equidistant from a central point (in all directions on a Euclidean plane).

AM

A.T. said:
It's also very human-centric. Some other species on our planet (and potentially many on other planets) have developed the idea of numbers.

Interesting video on this:

Perfect points are already pointless ;-).

with pie being irrational there isn't any problem to describe the world because like the circles you draw the circles in nature are not perfect .
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/news/2016/3/16/how-many-decimals-of-pi-do-we-really-need/ .
But more amazing fact is that the square root of two is also irrational and so if you take two equally lines put then in angle of 90 degrees , and then connect their edges with a line the line should be exactly the square root of two( Pitagoras sentence)

Last edited:
danielhaish said:
But more amazing fact is the square root of two is also irrational and so if you take two equally lines put then in angle of 90 and then connect their edges with a line the line should be exactly the square root of two( Protagoras sentence)

It's Pythagoras, and the legend is, that he hated irrational numbers so much, that he had one of his students drowned, for proving they exist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippasus#Irrational_numbers

Likes vanhees71 and danielhaish
danielhaish said:
with pie being irrational there isn't any problem to describe the world because like the circles you draw the circles in nature are not perfect .
Perhaps e is not an irrational number:
piex.jpeg
= pie = 2pi
So:
e = 2pi/pi = 2

AM

Andrew Mason said:
pie = 2pi
This obvious contraction is one more reason to use tau.

Likes danielhaish
A.T. said:
Like this?

Such a waste of pi.

Likes danielhaish
Ibix said:
Why would physics prevent the study of geometry? You can calculate the value of ##\pi## yourself if you know enough calculus to derive the Taylor series for ##\tan^{-1}##.
Yes, but if you do that you are using geometric considerations, "Pi" like "e" are derived from geometry and geometry is affected by the stress-energy tensor in GRT, except if you define you are living in a manifold and locally you see "flatland" and in flatland (yes) Pi = 3.14.., and all our formulae where Pi appears are laws from flatland

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy, Vanadium 50, Motore and 1 other person
PeroK said:
Given we live in non-Euclidean spacetime, real Euclidean circles are hard to come by.

##\pi## is defined purely mathematically; it doesn't rely on the physical universe.
It is not, are geometric considerations expressed in the language of maths, it is about the physical universe, all our formulae where Pi appears mean "Pi is a constant 3,14... in Euclidean space"

DanielMB said:
It is not, are geometric considerations expressed in the language of maths, it is about the physical universe, all our formulae where Pi appears mean "Pi is a constant 3,14... in Euclidean space"
A statement that ##e^{i\pi}=-1## is not a statement about the physical universe.

Edit: A mathematician is likely to be supremely dis-interested in the question of what definition of pi is canonical and which definitions are merely provably equivalent.

DanielMB said:
Does the formula $$\frac{\pi^2}{6} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {n^2}$$ depend on the local stress-energy tensor?

You could write a paper on how to do real analysis in curved spacetime!

Likes Vanadium 50
DanielMB said:
But pi and e also come from non-geometrical problems. pi and e are the solutions to the equations
-1 = eix
and
d(xy) / dy = xy

No geometry explicitly involved there.