Exploring the Physics of 1900s: Believing the Unbelievable?

• I
  • Thread starter MichPod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physicists who believed in the atomistic theory at the turn of the 20th century were not expecting the relativistic and quantum revolutions. They did not understand the nature of charge or rigid bodies. The physicist's belief in the completeness of the physics may have come from the lack of understanding of some paradoxes in physics.
MichPod
TL;DR Summary
How exactly could physicists believe the physics was nearly completed by the end of 1800th?
It's well known that the relativistic and quantum revolution came as a surprise for many after it was generally believed that the physics is mostly complete, except for some local problems like black body radiation etc.
Less known is the fact that the atomistic theory was not commonly accepted among the physicists until the very beginning of 1900th.

I so wonder what the world could look like fundamentally for those physicists who believed that the physics is complete?

The nature of charge? Well, we do not know it either, but these scientists even did not know of the electron nor of any other charged particle or charge carrying substance.
The nature of rigid bodies? There are so many chemicals, starting with the simplest ones and ending with our own living body. Each having different physical, mechanical, optical qualities (not even to mention chemical qualities). And so part of the physicists did not recognize the mere existence of atoms and those who did recognize - obviously could not say much about how so various physical qualities are determined.

IMO, one did not need to have any existing problem or paradox in physics (like black body radiation) to recognize that the physics is majorly incomplete, not being able to explain matter structure or its qualities.

So, how could these physicists ignore all this and believe that the physics is almost complete?

Well, looks like a rather philosophical or even psychological question, but may be if we could answer it, one could also realize what may be missing in the physics right now?...

Physics news on Phys.org
These notions (i.e. that "physicists" at the end of the 19th C believed that there was nothing in physics to be discovered) appear to come from out-of-context statements attributed to Lord Kelvin and Albert Michelson.

Albert Michelson (of the Michelson Morely experiment fame) did say in 1894 (as reported in the University of Chicago Annual Register in 1896):
Albert Michelson in 1896 - Annual Register - University of Chicago said:
The last sentence of the above quote (he didn't say who the eminent physicist was) could well be interpreted in a way that gives it a very prescient meaning (perhaps predicting something like quantum mechanics): the future of physics will be found in looking at the very small.

In any event, you have to read the entire paper to see that he did not think that there was nothing new in physics to discover. Indeed, since he was dedicating a new laboratory, he was recognizing the need for experimental work to explore the world of atoms and molecules:
Albert Michelson in 1896 - Annual Register - University of Chicago said:

As far as Lord Kelvin is concerned, there is some suggestion that he may have been the "eminent physicist" to whom Michelson referred. No one has provided a source for that statement let alone demonstrated that it meant that there is nothing more in physics to discover. The quote that is attributed to Kelvin is possibly a misreading of his remarks in April 1900 published in "Nineteenth Century Clouds over the Dynamical Theory of Heat and Light". It is apparent that he was addressing the incompleteness of our knowledge with reference to heat and light. With respect to the first cloud (reconciling experiment with the theory of the luminiferous ether) he ends saying: "§ 11. I am afraid we must still regard Cloud No. I. as very dense.'. As to the second cloud (problems in reconciling Maxwell-Boltzmann kinetic theory and the equipartition of energy with measured specific heats of gases) Kelvin concludes by referring to that cloud as "a cloud which has obscured the brilliance of the molecular theory of heat and light during the last quarter of the nineteenth century."

In 1924, Max Planck did say ( Sci. Am, Feb 1996 p.10 ):
Max Plank in 1924 said:
"When I began my physical studies [in 1874] and sought advice from my venerable teacher Philipp von Jolly...he portrayed to me physics as a highly developed, almost fully matured science...Possibly in one or another nook there would perhaps be a dust particle or a small bubble to be examined and classified, but the system as a whole stood there fairly secured, and theoretical physics approached visibly that degree of perfection which, for example, geometry has had already for centuries. "

Planck may have oversimplified what von Jolly "portrayed" and without an actual reliable quote it is probably unfair attribute much to the remark. In any event, in 1874 the problems with classical theories revealed by the Michelson-Morely experiment and by experimental disagreements with kinetic theory were not as evident.

To suggest that this was a view widely held by leading physicists at the turn of the century is not borne out by the record nor by what those physicists were able to accomplish in the first few decades of the 20th Century.

AM

Last edited:
Likes MichPod
MichPod said:
Summary:: How exactly could physicists believe the physics was nearly completed by the end of 1800th?

So, how could these physicists ignore all this and believe that the physics is almost complete?
I believe that they didn't exactly ignore it, they were hiding it below the "carpet" of the general building of classical physics. Classical physics consisting of Maxwell's equations, Navier-Stokes equations, Newtonian mechanics or Lagrangian-Hamiltonian mechanics Statistical mechanics and Thermodynamics were able to solve almost all problems in the medium/macroscopic range but was failing in some problems in the microscopic range (for example Maxwell's equations predict that electrons orbiting around nucleus should eventually loose energy due to radiation and fall into the nucleus).

I guess physicists amazed by the huge success at the medium/macroscopic range at the end of the 19th century ,were considering "minor details" the exact details of what is happening in the microscopic world and that's why they considered physics to be almost complete by then (although blackbody radiation seems to be a macroscopic problem). Of course it turns out that the exact details of the microscopic world are not minor at all and require a whole new science of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory in order to be successfully resolved.

I cannot blame the physicists at the end of the 19th century though, because now at 2020 when i look at technological miracles like computers, they can almost fully be explained by classical physics. I believe even modern computers can be explained by maxwell's equations alone, if we again disregard some "minor" details regarding the internal operation of transistors (the physics of the PNP junction for example) that require quantum physics in order to be fully explained.

Last edited:
Likes MichPod

1. What is the significance of exploring the physics of the 1900s?

Exploring the physics of the 1900s allows us to understand the groundbreaking discoveries and theories that shaped our understanding of the physical world. It also provides insight into the minds of the brilliant scientists who challenged conventional thinking and pushed the boundaries of what was considered possible.

2. What were some of the key discoveries in physics during the 1900s?

The 1900s saw a multitude of significant discoveries in physics, including the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, and the discovery of subatomic particles. It was also a time of rapid technological advancements, such as the development of nuclear energy and the invention of the transistor.

3. How did the physics of the 1900s challenge traditional beliefs?

The discoveries and theories of the 1900s often challenged long-held beliefs and assumptions about the nature of reality. For example, the theory of relativity showed that time and space were not absolute, while quantum mechanics revealed the probabilistic nature of the subatomic world. These ideas were in direct contrast to the traditional Newtonian view of the universe.

4. Who were some of the most influential physicists of the 1900s?

Some of the most influential physicists of the 1900s include Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, and Erwin Schrödinger. These scientists made groundbreaking contributions to the fields of relativity, quantum mechanics, and atomic theory, among others.

5. How did the physics of the 1900s shape our understanding of the world today?

The physics of the 1900s laid the foundation for many modern technologies and advancements, such as nuclear power, electronics, and space exploration. It also revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe and continues to inspire new research and discoveries in the field of physics.