Can PF Random Thoughts be Split to Help with Server Load?

In summary: Knew". It's a really great game.In summary, Irrational Games has released a new game called "God Only...Knew". It is a great game that is sure to please players.
  • #3,151
dlgoff said:
Did you get the tubing? :shy:
Of course.
Evo said:
Does he have insurance and did he admit being at fault to the authorities?
Yes and no. I didn't call the cops. He gave me his information and said to call him when I get an estimate. My truck is so old and dented already there's no need to get a brand new bumper. A used one off a junker will satisfy me. I presume he'd pay cash and leave the insurance co out of it. If he plans on moving out of the state and hiding from me, so be it, but he looked like a middle class Mexican church-going type, with some kind of office job (he was wearing a tie), so I don't think he's going to try any funny business. I'm pretty sure a truck bumper from a junk yard is less than $100.00.

What bothers me most is the fact I'm in the middle of fixing all kinds of stuff on it already. The new master cylinder is just one of several improvement projects I have in the works on it. It's a bad time psychologically to have someone trashing on it. Plus, it sucks to be startled when you're minding your business at a stop light.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,152
Well, you can be thankful he didn't push you into the guy ahead of you.

With my luck that'd be a Rolls Royce full of personal injury lawyers.

• #3,153
jim hardy said:

:smile:

• #3,154
zoobyshoe said:
Of course.

Yes and no. I didn't call the cops. He gave me his information and said to call him when I get an estimate. My truck is so old and dented already there's no need to get a brand new bumper. A used one off a junker will satisfy me. I presume he'd pay cash and leave the insurance co out of it. If he plans on moving out of the state and hiding from me, so be it, but he looked like a middle class Mexican church-going type, with some kind of office job (he was wearing a tie), so I don't think he's going to try any funny business. I'm pretty sure a truck bumper from a junk yard is less than $100.00.

What bothers me most is the fact I'm in the middle of fixing all kinds of stuff on it already. The new master cylinder is just one of several improvement projects I have in the works on it. It's a bad time psychologically to have someone trashing on it. Plus, it sucks to be startled when you're minding your business at a stop light.
Yeah, that's what I thought, homes over $360k (in the middle of nowhere KS), neighbor, little fender bender, no reason to call the police...

Then you find out some people are scum.

• #3,155
jim hardy said:

That happened to me many years back: got pushed into the person in front of me at a stop light by a space cadet. She said, "I don't get it! Why did everyone stop all of a sudden?"

• #3,156
Evo said:
Then you find out some people are scum.
Some people are, yes. Fortunately, if this guy is, the financial loss will be minimal.

• #3,157
Lisa! said:
This picture's really made me think: :biggrin:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1623613_689495754427479_657658531_n.jpg

• #3,158
a flying rat :D
lendav rott actually translates to flying rat in Estonian ^^

• #3,159
Evo said:
Does he have insurance and did he admit being at fault to the authorities?

I had a neighbor back into me, admit to me it was his fault, gave me his insurance info, so I didn't call the cops, ...

I had someone back into me at a stop sign. There were cars parked along the side of the main street, so he'd pulled out a ways to see if the coast was clear, then backed up a little to be out of the way of the oncoming traffic ...

... and then forgot his car was in reverse. As soon as the coast was clear to pull out, he backed into me!

I was in high school and driving the family's old Corvair. My mom had backed into it so many times in the driveway that I didn't even bother to get out of the car to check the damage. I just asked him if there was any damage to the bumper.

He seemed to be inspecting it pretty closely, then replied, "No, your bumper's fine."

I just laughed and didn't even bother to get any info from him.

• #3,160
lendav_rott said:
Which I bet is the Estonian term for "bat." In German "bat" is "Fledermaus"; "flying mouse."

This raises the issue of how "Batman" comes off in Estonian. Is it "Flying Rat Man"?

Likes 1 person
  • #3,161
zoobyshoe said:
Which I bet is the Estonian term for "bat." In German "bat" is "Fledermaus"; "flying mouse."

This raises the issue of how "Batman" comes off in Estonian. Is it "Flying Rat Man"?
<snork>

• #3,162
Wow, it must be a slow news day in Belleville, Illinois. They have a report on the start of our local once-a-year, two-day-long, game of "football". Actually, more like a cross between rugby and water polo, with a few hundred players on each side, a pitch 3 miles long, and very few rules, the first of which is "intentionally killing another player is prohibited".

http://www.bnd.com/2014/03/04/3090018/bizarre-game-brings-english-town.html

Close up pictures don't give the right sense of scale - this is from last year's game ...

_65863839_shrovetide3.jpg

... which included at attempt to devise a new way to get the ball (which nearly worked,
except the guys fell out of the tree)

_65863963_shrovetide7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,163
lendav_rott said:

:biggrin:

I'm rather fond of bats. Calling them flying rats is a huge promotion for rats, IMO.

• #3,164
AlephZero said:
Wow, it must be a slow news day in Belleville, Illinois. They have a report on the start of our local once-a-year, two-day-long, game of "football". Actually, more like a cross between rugby and water polo, with a few hundred players on each side, a pitch 3 miles long, and very few rules, the first of which is "intentionally killing another player is prohibited".

:smile: That sounds like a great time!

I'm guessing there's a touch of alcohol consumed...?

• #3,165
lisab said:
I'm guessing there's a touch of alcohol consumed...?

Yup, the pubs are the only buildings in town that stay open (all day). Everywhere else boards up all the ground floor windows and barricades the doors. Play can take place anywhere, except in churches and graveyards!

Under the current rules, play stops each day if a goal is scored after dark, and at 10 pm at the latest, so there is time to top up the "fuel tank" afterwards.

The booze does have its dangers though. A few years ago a player had a heart attack and died in a bar while "refuelling" after the game. Way to go!

Actually it can be quite scary for spectators. On the first day this year, the scrum-down only moved a few yards from the starting point in the first two hours or more, but if somebody does manage to get the ball free and it gets thrown to the edge, you have a few hundred people stampeding through the town to catch up with it :eek: Intentional murder is forbidden, but just trampling somebody underfoot doesn't count as an infraction.

Last edited:
  • #3,166
zoobyshoe said:

Actually the word bat is "nahkhiir" which is like 'leather mouse'. Batman would translate to "nahk hiir mees" , leather mouse man , if that makes sense :D

Ye, flying rat is a huge promotion..if they had followed their 10 rules in life :D

• #3,167
lendav_rott said:
leather mouse man
So are all Estonian superheros kinky?

• #3,169
I love running into old crazy friends.

or is it crazy old friends?

meh...

Today was a good day.

• #3,170
It' always good to hear someone's having a good day. :smile:

• #3,171
Trying not to worry about my cat. She was a no-show when I got home from work.

She's gone AWOL before - she is a cat, after all. But it's hard not to worry.

Edit: Immediately after I wrote that I went to check her bed again (a nice heated pad in the basement). She's back! She told me to tell you all, "Meow."

• #3,172
lisab said:
Trying not to worry about my cat. She was a no-show when I got home from work.

She's gone AWOL before - she is a cat, after all. But it's hard not to worry.

Edit: Immediately after I wrote that I went to check her bed again (a nice heated pad in the basement). She's back! She told me to tell you all, "Meow."
Awww, I am so happy!

Dr Foofer (my cat) used to be gone up to 3 weeks at a time. Turned out another family down the block thought he was theirs. :devil: They would try to keep him trapped.

I hung around my old house for 3 days after I moved, waiting for him to show up. He did and when I brought him to the new place, the Fruit Bat (my dog), who had been terribly depressed, started shaking and they ran to each other and snuggled, and they were inseparable from then on. They had been best friends for 10 years.

• #3,173
Meow meow! :D

• #3,174
Evo said:
Awww, I am so happy!

Dr Foofer (my cat) used to be gone up to 3 weeks at a time. Turned out another family down the block thought he was theirs. :devil: They would try to keep him trapped.

I hung around my old house for 3 days after I moved, waiting for him to show up. He did and when I brought him to the new place, the Fruit Bat (my dog), who had been terribly depressed, started shaking and they ran to each other and snuggled, and they were inseparable from then on. They had been best friends for 10 years.

That's so sweet o:)! It's fascinating watching cats and dogs interact, you learn so much about their body language. I've never had trouble getting dogs and cats get along. They're natural buddies.

Getting cats to get along with other cats...that's much more difficult.

• #3,175
Evo said:
Dr Foofer (my cat) used to be gone up to 3 weeks at a time.

A colleague at work had a couple of cats, which lived outside at night 365 nights a year (they had somewhere dry to shelter in bad weather). When he went on vacation, they lived outside in the day as well, and a neighbour used to feed them each day.

Well, that was the theory. One of the two used to just vanish somewhere, and turn up again as if nothing had happened within a few hours of them returning home. That happened every year, and they never found out where it went.

One year, the cat didn't show up. After a while they decided it was gone for good (or had died) and got a replacement.

The next year, they came back from vacation to find they now had 3 cats. They never found out what the missing one had been doing in its 12 month "sabbatical" (sabcatical?)

• #3,176
I met this girl at a cafe tonight and we hung out all night talking. She is visiting from Texas but she lived here in San Diego a while back, and is staying with some acquaintance. At the end of the night I gave her a ride to where she is staying and it turned out to be a house where I used to live! It was too weird.

• #3,177
Matlab hates me.

• #3,178
Matlab hates you.

• #3,179
Holy cow! MathWorks now offers a Matlab "Home Use" version for only $149 (US). How long have they had this?

For as long as I kept track, either you had to prove you're a student, or fork over a couple grand for the standard version. This "Home Use" option sounds tempting.

Hmm.

• #3,180
Call me crazy but I feel like if someone doesn't contribute anything meaningful to a group, they shouldn't have the right to complain when things go a bit south.

End rant.

• #3,181
Enigman said:
Matlab hates me.

lendav_rott said:
Matlab hates you.

Lucky! Matlab doesn't even know I exist!

• #3,182
Yanick said:
Call me crazy but I feel like if someone doesn't contribute anything meaningful to a group, they shouldn't have the right to complain when things go a bit south.

End rant.

OK: You're crazy.

• #3,183
lisab said:
OK: You're crazy.

That reminds me of the old joke about an injured guy who says, "call me an ambulance". His inebriated friend says, "Ok you are an ambulance".

• #3,184
edward said:
That reminds me of the old joke about an injured guy who says, "call me an ambulance". His inebriated friend says, "Ok you are an ambulance".

*appreciates goofy humor :biggrin:*

• #3,185
For lisab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A5t5_O8hdA