Can Opposite Angles Determine Special Properties in Quadrilaterals?

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses a quadrilateral with two opposite internal angles of 90 degrees and questions if there are any conclusions that can be drawn about the line segment joining the vertices corresponding to the other two internal angles. It is determined that the sum of the other two angles is 180 degrees and that the figure can be classified as a trapezium. The original poster ultimately solves the problem without the use of bisection of internal angles.
Benny
Hi, can someone please help me out? I need to know if I can draw any conclusions from the following.

There is a quadrilateral such that two 'opposite' internal angles are 90 degrees. Is there anything that I can say about the line segment joining the two vertices of the quadrilateral which correspond to the other two internal angles? The 'other' vertices being the ones whose corresponding internal angle is not 90 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi, can someone please help me out? I need to know if I can draw any conclusions from the following.

There is a quadrilateral such that two 'opposite' internal angles are 90 degrees. Is there anything that I can say about the line segment joining the two vertices of the quadrilateral which correspond to the other two internal angles? The 'other' vertices being the ones whose corresponding internal angle is not 90 degrees.

What exactly do you mean by opposite? Can you sketch a diagram? I had a post typed out before but your meaning is ambiguous so I deleted it.

In any case, the sum of the other two angles is 180 degrees.

And, if by opposite, you mean that the two angles have one forming side in common, then the figure becomes a trapezium.

I meant opposite as in the vertices I referred to were not formed by sides which are adjacent. Nevermind though, I figured out a way to do the problem I was working on without working using bisection of internal angles. Thanks anyway.

Benny said:
There is a quadrilateral such that two 'opposite' internal angles are 90 degrees. Is there anything that I can say about the line segment joining the two vertices of the quadrilateral which correspond to the other two internal angles?
Yes, there is something very specific that can be said about this line segment.

Do you want to post your result here so we may be able to help further ?

Edit : Nevermind. It looks like this was part of another problem that you were working on.

Related to Can Opposite Angles Determine Special Properties in Quadrilaterals?

1. What is a quadrilateral angles problem?

A quadrilateral angles problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the measures of the angles in a quadrilateral, which is a four-sided polygon.

2. How many angles does a quadrilateral have?

A quadrilateral has four angles, hence the prefix "quad" meaning four.

3. Can a quadrilateral have two right angles?

Yes, a quadrilateral can have two right angles. This type of quadrilateral is called a rectangle.

4. What is the sum of the angles in a quadrilateral?

The sum of the angles in a quadrilateral is always 360 degrees.

5. How do you solve a quadrilateral angles problem?

To solve a quadrilateral angles problem, you can use the fact that the sum of the angles in a quadrilateral is 360 degrees. You can also use the properties of different types of quadrilaterals, such as squares, rectangles, and parallelograms, to find missing angles.