Proving Cyclic Quadrilateral: Opposite Angles Sum 180°

• Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, a cyclic quadrilateral is a quadrilateral with all its vertices lying on a single circle. The opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral sum up to 180° and this can be proven by drawing a diagonal and creating two triangles. This concept has real-life applications in navigation and surveying, as well as in geometry and architecture. Other properties of a cyclic quadrilateral that can be proven include the sum of opposite sides, exterior and interior angles, and the formation of a parallelogram with the midpoints of the sides.
physics kiddy

Homework Statement

I have got a question that might be easy for you. But, not for me.

I have attached a pic. Please tell me if the quadrilateral inside the circle is a cyclic quadrilateral or not. If it is, then please explain how to prove that it's opposite angles sum up to 180 degrees

Homework Equations

I believe it won't require any equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea !

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of a cyclic quadrilateral??

Related to Proving Cyclic Quadrilateral: Opposite Angles Sum 180°

1. What is a cyclic quadrilateral?

A cyclic quadrilateral is a quadrilateral with all its vertices lying on a single circle. This means that all four angles of the quadrilateral are inscribed in the circle.

2. How do I prove that opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral sum up to 180°?

To prove that opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral sum up to 180°, we use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180°. By drawing a diagonal in the cyclic quadrilateral, we can create two triangles. By proving that the sum of the angles in each triangle is 180°, we can conclude that the opposite angles in the cyclic quadrilateral also sum up to 180°.

3. Can you provide an example of a proof for proving opposite angles sum 180° in a cyclic quadrilateral?

Yes, here is an example of a proof for opposite angles sum 180° in a cyclic quadrilateral:

Given: Quadrilateral ABCD is a cyclic quadrilateral with points A, B, C, and D lying on a circle.

To prove: ∠A + ∠C = 180° and ∠B + ∠D = 180°

Proof:

1. Draw diagonal AC in the cyclic quadrilateral ABCD.

2. This creates two triangles, ∆ABC and ∆ADC.

3. By the properties of a cyclic quadrilateral, we know that ∠A + ∠B = 180° and ∠C + ∠D = 180°.

4. By the properties of a triangle, we know that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180°.

5. Therefore, in ∆ABC, ∠A + ∠B + ∠C = 180° and in ∆ADC, ∠A + ∠D + ∠C = 180°.

6. Combining the equations from step 3 and 4, we get ∠A + ∠C = 180° and ∠B + ∠D = 180°.

7. Thus, we have proved that opposite angles in a cyclic quadrilateral sum up to 180°.

4. What are some real-life applications of proving opposite angles sum 180° in a cyclic quadrilateral?

One real-life application of this concept is in navigation and surveying. By using a compass and measuring the angles of a cyclic quadrilateral, we can determine exact locations and distances between points on a map or on the surface of the Earth.

Another application is in geometry and architecture, where this concept is used to ensure the accuracy of angles and shapes in building designs and construction.

5. Are there any other properties of a cyclic quadrilateral that can be proven?

Yes, there are several other properties of a cyclic quadrilateral that can be proven, such as:

• The sum of the opposite sides is equal to the sum of the diagonals.
  • The exterior angle of a cyclic quadrilateral is equal to the interior opposite angle.
  • The perpendicular bisectors of the sides of a cyclic quadrilateral intersect at a single point, known as the circumcenter.
  • The line segments connecting the midpoints of the sides of a cyclic quadrilateral form a parallelogram.