Can Movement Occur in a Universe with Unquantized Distance?

• Thread starter kjones000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meter
In summary, an ancient greek philosopher, an ancient greek hero, and Shrodenger's cat walk into a bar. The philosopher gets so drunk that he decides to prove to the hero that he can't reach the finish line of a 100 meter dash because he would have to go half the remaining distance an infinite number of times. The hero doesn't believe him, so the philosopher tries to do it again but this time he doesn't stop at half the distance, he keeps going and eventually makes it to the finish line. However, because the universe is not quantized, 100 meters has no meaning.
kjones000
An ancient greek philosopher, an ancient greek hero, and Shrodenger's cat walk into a bar. Ok, forget the cat. The philosopher gets so drunk that he decides to prove to the hero that he can't reach the finish line of a 100 meter dash because he would have to go half the remaining distance an infinite number of times.

Now, we all know that the philosopher's reasoning was purposefully flawed, but DO WE KNOW FOR CERTAIN that movement is possible in a universe where distance is not quantized? After all, we haven't got such a universe to experiment on. Do we know for certain that a complex universe where distance and time are NOT quantized could even have self consistent rules? If the answer is yes, do we know that such a universe could support life?

As a side note: an exercise left for the reader's calculator, how many times would the hero have to go half the distance before he got a Planck length from the finish line? Bonus points for the person who has to press the fewest buttons to find the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the universe is not quantized, then 100 meters has no meaning.

Huh?

wuliheron said:
If the universe is not quantized, then 100 meters has no meaning.

Huh? Why? Did I use the wrong word? Should I have said "quantumized". The spell checker says that is not a word. How could the universe not being chopped up in Planck length sized units preclude "100 Meters" from having meaning? Its true that you couldn't assign it an integer number based on the underlying granularity of space, but who ever said that a length can't be based on something else?

kjones000 said:
Huh? Why? Did I use the wrong word? Should I have said "quantumized". The spell checker says that is not a word. How could the universe not being chopped up in Planck length sized units preclude "100 Meters" from having meaning? Its true that you couldn't assign it an integer number based on the underlying granularity of space, but who ever said that a length can't be based on something else?

Words only have demonstrable meaning according to their function in a given context.

In this case, quantized refers to the observation that nature comes in bits and pieces, specific quantities. However, we also observe that these quantities act like waves, which are not quantized. If another universe existed where nothing was quantized, then literally 100 meters would have no meaning.

kjones000 said:
... an exercise left for the reader's calculator, how many times would the hero have to go half the distance before he got a Planck length from the finish line?

My calculator expressed appreciation and no small surprise at having a problem left for it, and it says that N = 123 ought to work.

it gets this number with almost no buttons pressed because it is

[tex]\frac{37}{log_{10}2}[/tex]

I suspected you might wonder why the reader's calculator thinks that is the answer, so I inquired and got this response.

the idea is to find N

[tex]\frac{100}{2^N}<1.616\times 10^{-35}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{100}{1.616\times 10^{-35}}<2^N[/tex]

[tex]\log_2 2^N = N[/tex]
and for any number X
[tex]\log_2 X = \frac{log_{10}X}{log_{10}2}[/tex]

Taking log base two of both sides
[tex]\frac{37 - \log_{10}1.616}{\log_{10}2}<N[/tex]

and [tex]\inline{ \log_{10}1.616}}[/tex] is negligible so one looks for

[tex]\frac{37}{\log_{10}2}<N[/tex]

which takes few strokes

Damn Marcus you are everywhere-- I will have to read this when its not one in the morning

i have to get up soon
night

Related to Can Movement Occur in a Universe with Unquantized Distance?

1. What is unquantized distance?

Unquantized distance refers to the concept that distance in the universe is continuous and not made up of discrete, quantifiable units. This means that there are no smallest possible units of distance, and it can theoretically be infinitely divided.

2. How does unquantized distance affect movement?

Unquantized distance does not affect movement in any significant way. Movement is still possible in a universe with unquantized distance, as it is in our own universe with quantized distance. The only difference is in the way we measure and conceptualize distance.

3. What evidence is there for unquantized distance?

Currently, there is no evidence that definitively proves or disproves the concept of unquantized distance. It is still a theoretical concept that is being explored and debated by scientists and philosophers.

4. How does unquantized distance relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the concept of space-time, supports the idea of unquantized distance. According to this theory, space and time are intertwined and can be curved by the presence of mass, suggesting that distance is not fixed and can be continuously modified.

5. Would a universe with unquantized distance be fundamentally different from our own?

It is difficult to say for certain, as we have no way of observing or experiencing a universe with unquantized distance. However, it is likely that many fundamental laws and principles would still apply, and the universe would function similarly to our own in terms of movement and physical interactions.