Can Mechanical Engineering Be the Key to a Disabled Veteran's Career Success?

• Thread starter Whitefire_Nomura
  • Start date
In summary, mechanical engineering can be a valuable career path for disabled veterans due to its diverse opportunities, high demand for skilled workers, and potential for remote work. The field offers various specializations and opportunities for advancement, making it suitable for individuals with different physical abilities. Additionally, the growing need for sustainable and accessible technology creates a demand for engineers with diverse perspectives and experiences, making disabled veterans a valuable asset to the industry. With the option for remote work, disabled veterans can also have more flexibility and control over their work environment, allowing them to thrive in their careers and achieve success.
Whitefire_Nomura
Hello everyone,

Thank you for allowing me to join this community.

I guess a little info about me would be helpful. I'm just your average guy in an extraordinary world. I am in my early 40s and my hobbies consist of working out, mathematics, (Yeah I know) and cartooning. over my lifetime, I've struggled to find my place in this world. I'm a disabled O.I.F. army veteran, I have an associates in electronics from a school that closed last year, and a BA in graphic design and advertising.

Needless to say, the job offers have not been flying everywhere so I've been struggling with what to do with myself. Every forum I've asked, no one seems to have an answer (Well outside of scam artists who say I can earn billions just by working from home.) So sounds like I'm thru. But maybe, just maybe, there is still a small sliver of hope for me yet.

I might have the opportunity to go back to school to get a BA in mechanical engineering. (Third times the charm huh?) So that is where my focus now is. Hey, all we can do is keep trying right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whitefire_Nomura said:
mathematics, (Yeah I know)
What do you know? I think it is a very nice hobby that will serve you well in engineering.
Whitefire_Nomura said:
I'm a disabled O.I.F. army veteran
For what it is worth, you have earned a lot of my respect.
Whitefire_Nomura said:
But maybe, just maybe, there is still a small sliver of hope for me yet.
Of course, there always is, as long as you do not give up.
Whitefire_Nomura said:
I might have the opportunity to go back to school to get a BA in mechanical engineering. (Third times the charm huh?) So that is where my focus now is. Hey, all we can do is keep trying right?
That sounds good. Wouldn't the army be able to help you here? It seems like a useful thing they can do for their veterans and it may even be in their own interest to train a qualified professional.

Krylov said:
That sounds good. Wouldn't the army be able to help you here? It seems like a useful thing they can do for their veterans and it may even be in their own interest to train a qualified professional.

Unfortunately no, The only schooling I've found thru the VA are physically demanding jobs and with me being disabled, it is getting harder and harder to do jobs like those.