Can low Resistance affect the torque output of an electrical motor

In summary, the conversation was about a side project involving motorized Rollerblade wheels and the need to determine the appropriate motor size to accelerate 250lbs up to 25mph. The question was whether ohms could affect the potential torque maximum of the motor or if it was limited by size and current. The response was that resistance in the electrics should not be a major concern, and it was suggested to look at electric skateboards as a starting point for finding a motor that meets the required specs.
dajordanator
I've had a side project in mind for a while involving motorized Rollerblade wheels, however I need to figure out a motor size that would give me the needed torque to actually accelerate 250lbs up to 25mph. I realize even a 5hp electric motor is large but I was wondering if ohms have any affect on the potential torque maximum of the engine or if it winds up being limited more due to size and current, rather than the ease of the electricity's flow.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Resistance in the electrics shouldn't be a major concern (apart from thermal considerations maybe).

Likes dajordanator
mfb said:
Resistance in the electrics shouldn't be a major concern (apart from thermal considerations maybe).
Ok, I just didn't know if I should invest a lot of time into looking into that as a potential way of cutting motor size or not. thank you

dajordanator said:
I've had a side project in mind for a while involving motorized Rollerblade wheels, however I need to figure out a motor size that would give me the needed torque to actually accelerate 250lbs up to 25mph. I realize even a 5hp electric motor is large but I was wondering if ohms have any affect on the potential torque maximum of the engine or if it winds up being limited more due to size and current, rather than the ease of the electricity's flow.
Have you looked at electric skateboards that come close to meeting your specs of speed? That would be the best place to start.

Related to Can low Resistance affect the torque output of an electrical motor

1. How does low resistance affect the torque output of an electrical motor?

Low resistance can affect the torque output of an electrical motor by causing a decrease in the amount of current flowing through the motor. This decrease in current can lead to a decrease in the strength of the magnetic field produced by the motor, resulting in a decrease in torque output.

2. Is low resistance always bad for the torque output of an electrical motor?

No, low resistance is not always bad for the torque output of an electrical motor. In certain cases, a lower resistance can actually improve the efficiency of the motor and increase its torque output. However, if the resistance is too low, it can cause damage to the motor and reduce its overall performance.

3. How does the resistance of a motor affect its power output?

The resistance of a motor can affect its power output by determining the amount of current that can flow through the motor. A lower resistance allows for a higher current, which can lead to a higher power output. However, if the resistance is too low, it can cause the motor to overheat and decrease its overall power output.

4. Can the resistance of a motor be changed to adjust its torque output?

Yes, the resistance of a motor can be changed to adjust its torque output. This can be done by using different types of materials for the motor's windings or by adjusting the length and thickness of the wire used in the windings. However, changing the resistance can also affect other aspects of the motor's performance, so it should be done carefully and with proper knowledge.

5. How can I determine the optimal resistance for a motor to achieve maximum torque output?

The optimal resistance for a motor to achieve maximum torque output can vary depending on the specific motor and its intended use. It is best to consult the motor's specifications or consult with an expert to determine the optimal resistance for a specific motor. Factors such as voltage, current, and motor size should also be taken into consideration when determining the optimal resistance for maximum torque output.