Can I use some ideas from this forum?

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary: Nobody. It's like trying to ask someone for permission to paint your car red, or to turn your radio from AM to FM
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'm a member of another forum http://www.diablofans.com/forum" and after being a long time member (well, in my eyes at least) of PF, I have come to rely on and love the subscribed threads feature in "My PF". I'd have no hope of keeping track of things without it.

Now, this other forum is lacking any decent feature like this. Seriously lacking... It's not necessary for them right now since the activity on there isn't too high - and if anyone knows anything about the game Diablo, when Diablo 3 is released activity on there is going to boom. When it does, user-friendliness is going to reciprocate this high and plunge.

So I made a suggestion on that forum to do something similar to what PF has, and offered to give some screenshots of how well it works (just with examples from my own subscribed threads list). But I feel like I got a little ahead of myself for not asking for permission from a PF admin prior to claiming I will do it.

So I've come to ask, is it ok if I give screenshots of the subscribed threads feature on PF? Any conditions?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mentallic said:
So I've come to ask, is it ok if I give screenshots of the subscribed threads feature on PF? Any conditions?

Convert some of those diablo fans into pf nerds and we're even :biggrin: You're good, no worries.

Many forum engines have subscription to the threads built in, it is just sometimes called differently - in phpBB it is called watching topic, in SMF these are notifications - no idea about others, but it is nothing unusual. With all due respect I doubt Greg is the author of the idea.

Or am I wrong?

You can always remove these two posts :wink:

Technically speaking, Greg may have just confirmed your statement "am I wrong?" is right. Meaning you were wrong, just not then

Office_Shredder said:
Technically speaking, Greg may have just confirmed your statement "am I wrong?" is right. Meaning you were wrong, just not then

I am confirming that the "subscribed threads" feature was NOT my idea :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I am confirming that the "subscribed threads" feature was NOT my idea :smile:

Then the person I need to be asking is...?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Convert some of those diablo fans into pf nerds and we're even :biggrin: You're good, no worries.

Thanks :smile: A simple maths question was asked there a while back and the answering process was all but smooth. We need trained pf nerds :-p

Mentallic said:
Then the person I need to be asking is...?

Nobody. It's like trying to ask someone for permission to paint your car red, or to turn your radio from AM to FM

Sorry, that was a typo. What I meant to say was:

Then the person I need to be asking is...? :biggrin:

Related to Can I use some ideas from this forum?

1. Can I use ideas from this forum without giving credit?

It is always best practice to give credit to the original source when using ideas from a forum. This not only shows respect to the creators but also helps to avoid any potential issues with plagiarism.

2. How can I determine if an idea is protected by copyright?

It is important to do your own research and determine if an idea is protected by copyright before using it. Look for any trademarks or copyrights associated with the idea, and consider reaching out to the original creator for permission.

3. Are there any legal implications for using ideas from a forum?

It is possible that using ideas from a forum without permission could result in legal action. It is always best to err on the side of caution and obtain permission or give credit when using ideas from a forum.

4. Can I use ideas from a forum for commercial purposes?

This depends on the specific forum and the terms of use. Some forums may have restrictions on using ideas for commercial purposes, while others may allow it. It is best to check the forum's terms of use or reach out to the original creators for clarification.

5. Do I need to get permission from every user who contributed to an idea?

If you plan to use an idea that was a collaborative effort from multiple forum users, it is best to obtain permission from each individual contributor. This shows respect for their work and avoids any potential issues with using their ideas without consent.