Can I separate a differential equation?

In summary, given the following differential equation, x*x''+x'^2+y*y''+y'^2=C, where C is a constant, it cannot be solved for separately for x and y. However, if x and y can be rewritten as first order equations, then x*x''+k*y''+C-k*y'' can be solved for separately, meaning that x=k*y and y=C-k*y.
sliken
Given the following differential equation

x*x''+(x')^2+y*y''+(y')^2=C

where C is a constant and all differentiation is with respect to time

Can i equal the first and second parts of the equation into different constants and solve separately?, meaning solving the system

x*x''+(x')^2=k^2
y*y''+(y')^2=C-k^2

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Why would you expect that to hold true?
The equation can be slightly simplified though.
Think of how ##x x'' + (x')^2## can be rewritten.

You can write it has first order equations but I don't know if that is your aim.

sliken said:
Given the following differential equation

x*x''+(x')^2+y*y''+(y')^2=C

where C is a constant and all differentiation is with respect to time

Can I equal the first and second parts of the equation into different constants and solve separately?, meaning solving the system

x*x''+(x')^2=k^2
y*y''+(y')^2=C-k^2
[STRIKE]Yes. Why do you suppose you can do that?[/STRIKE] (Never mind.)

Last edited:
sliken said:
Can i equal the first and second parts of the equation into different constants and solve separately?, meaning solving the system

x*x''+(x')^2=k^2
y*y''+(y')^2=C-k^2

vela said:
Yes. Why do you suppose you can do that?

I don't see why the constant must be positive for the ##x## equation. But, more to the point, I am unconvinced that the answer is yes. It isn't like the eigenvalue situation you get in separation of variables in partial DE's because the two sides have different independent variables. Or maybe that isn't what your reasoning is.

Fightfish said:
No. Why would you expect that to hold true?
The equation can be slightly simplified though.
Think of how ##x x'' + (x')^2## can be rewritten.
I like this idea.

LCKurtz said:
I don't see why the constant must be positive for the ##x## equation. But, more to the point, I am unconvinced that the answer is yes. It isn't like the eigenvalue situation you get in separation of variables in partial DE's because the two sides have different independent variables. Or maybe that isn't what your reasoning is.
Yeah, you're right. Never mind my earlier post.

Related to Can I separate a differential equation?

1. Can I separate any type of differential equation?

No, not all differential equations can be separated. Only first-order ordinary differential equations can be separated into two parts, each containing only one variable.

2. How do I know if a differential equation can be separated?

If a differential equation is in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y respectively, then it can be separated.

3. Can I separate a partial differential equation?

No, partial differential equations cannot be separated. They involve more than one independent variable and cannot be reduced to a first-order ordinary differential equation.

4. What is the purpose of separating a differential equation?

Separating a differential equation helps to solve for the dependent variable by isolating it on one side of the equation. It also allows for the use of integration to find a general solution.

5. Are there any limitations to separating a differential equation?

Yes, separating a differential equation only works if the equation is simple and can be easily separated. More complex equations may require other methods of solving, such as using a change of variables or numerical methods.