Can Cauchy's Theorem Help Evaluate Integrals with Poles?

In summary, we discussed how to perform integrals of the form \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx \frac{f(x)}{x^{2}-a^{2}}, which have poles at x=a and x=-a. We explored using Cauchy's theorem and Plemelj's formula to compute the Principal Part of the Integral. We also discussed how the presence of singularities in the function can affect the integral and how to ensure the integral remains real. Ultimately, we determined that the integral can be evaluated using the half residue theorem, as long as the function is analytic within the upper half plane and certain conditions are met.
zetafunction
i want to perform the following integrals

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx \frac{f(x)}{x^{2}-a^{2}} [/tex]

the problem is that the integral has poles at x=a and x=-a , could we apply

i think this is the definition of Hadamard finite part integral, performing an integral with singularities by means of Cauchy's theorem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can compute the Principal Part of the Integral. If you can apply the Residue therorem, then you find that the residues at x = a and x = -a count for half. This is known as Plemelj's formula.

Cauchy's theorem only applies to integrals around a closed path in the complex plane. That path also cannot include any singularities of the function. You could do this by integrating along the real axis, from -R to R, with small half circles, radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] around -a and a in the upper half plane, then by a half circle from R to -R. Since the function is analytic inside that path, Cauchy's theorem gives 0 for the integral around the entire path. I think it would be easy to show that the limit for the upper half circle, as R goes to infinity, is 0. Thus the problem reduces to determining the integral around those small half circles around -a and a.

yes of course but since there are real poles at x=a and x=-a then the integral would be infinite , this is a singular integral, from the beginnig and this can not be 'regularized' to give a finite real value isn't it ??

I think it depends on what [tex]f(x)[/tex] is. For example, compute:

[tex]P.V.\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{f(x)}{x^2-a^2}dx[/tex]

for:

[tex]f(x)=x,x^2,x^3,\frac{1}{x-i}[/tex]

nope due to the factor [tex] 2\pi i [/tex] the integral will be an imaginary number.

zetafunction said:
nope due to the factor [tex] 2\pi i [/tex] the integral will be an imaginary number.

Which is reasonable. As you move from one side of the 1/(x-a) and
1/(x+a) singularities at x = a and -a to the other side, the argument of the integrals in the neighborhood of the singularities ( Log(x+a) and Log(x-a) ) pick up a factor exp(i pi).

Hi. Here's what I calculated for two integrals:

[tex]P.V. \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x}{(x-1)(x+1)}dx=\pi i-\pi i=0[/tex]

and:

[tex]P.V. \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x-i)(x-1)(x+1)}dx=-\pi i+\pi i(1/2)=-\pi i/2[/tex]

Last edited:
zetafunction said:

If f(x) is a real function then your integral will be real. Any [itex]2\pi i[/itex] terms that appear will necessarily be eliminated, either by some other factor of i appearing to cancel that i or the integral being zero.

Since the poles of the integral are simple poles, you can apply the half residue theorem, and so

[tex]P.V.\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx~\frac{f(x)}{(x-a)(x+a)} = \pi i\left[f(-a) + f(a)\right] [/tex]

AS LONG AS f(z), where z = x + iy, is analytic within the upper half plane, AND AS LONG AS [itex]|f(Re^{i\theta})| < R[/itex] as [itex]R \rightarrow \infty[/itex], otherwise the contribution from the large arc will not go to zero. Note that the analyticity condition must be taken into account for the second integral squidsoft did, which has a pole at z = i, which is inside the contour. Accordingly, looking at squidsoft's results,

[tex]P.V. \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x}{(x-1)(x+1)}dx=\pi i-\pi i=0[/tex]

is correct, but

[tex]P.V. \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(x-i)(x-1)(x+1)}dx=-\pi i+\pi i(1/2)=-\pi i/2[/tex]

is not quite what I seem to get. I find

[tex]\int_\gamma dz~\frac{1}{(z-i)(z-1)(z+1)} = \frac{2\pi i}{((i)^2-1)} = P.V.\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx~\frac{1}{(x-i)(x-1)(x+1)} - \pi i \left[\frac{1}{2(1-i)} + \frac{1}{2(1+i)} \right][/tex]

where the "half residue terms" on the RHS came from the small arcs, traversed clockwise, hence the minus sign. Solving,

[tex]P.V.\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx~\frac{1}{(x-i)(x-1)(x+1)} = -\frac{3\pi i}{4}[/tex]

The discrepancy appears to be accidentally dropping a factor of 1/2 on the half residue terms.

Last edited:

Related to Can Cauchy's Theorem Help Evaluate Integrals with Poles?

What is Cauchy theorem for integrals?

Cauchy theorem for integrals, also known as Cauchy's integral theorem, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states that if two paths in the complex plane have the same start and end points, and if they do not intersect or cross each other, then the integrals of a complex-valued function over these paths will be equal.

What is the significance of Cauchy theorem for integrals?

Cauchy theorem for integrals is significant because it allows us to evaluate complex integrals using simpler real integrals. It also helps in proving other important theorems in complex analysis, such as the Cauchy integral formula and the Cauchy residue theorem.

What are the conditions for Cauchy theorem for integrals to hold?

There are two conditions that must be met for Cauchy theorem for integrals to hold: first, the function being integrated must be analytic (or holomorphic) on the region enclosed by the paths, and second, the paths must be simple, closed, and piecewise-smooth.

Can Cauchy theorem for integrals be extended to multiple integrals?

Yes, Cauchy theorem for integrals can be extended to multiple integrals in higher dimensions. In this case, the paths become surfaces and the function becomes a multivariate function. The theorem holds as long as the function is analytic on the region enclosed by the surfaces and the surfaces do not intersect or cross each other.

What are some applications of Cauchy theorem for integrals?

Cauchy theorem for integrals has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the evaluation of complex integrals, in proving other important theorems in complex analysis, in the study of holomorphic functions and their properties, and in solving problems in potential theory, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism.