Can Bessel Functions Solve Specific Exponential Trigonometric Integrals?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral involving exponential and cosine functions, with arbitrary angles \phi_{1} and \phi_{2}. The answer for this integral is a Bessel function when \phi_{1}=\pi and \phi_{2}=0. The identity e^{ iz\cos\phi} = \sum_{s=-\infty}^{\infty}i^sJ_s(z)e^{is\phi} is used to solve the integral, and it can be found in the reference book "Abramowitz and Stegun."
vvthuy
Hi,

Do you have any idea to solve this integral?

\int^{\phi_{1}}_{\phi_{2}} exp[j cos(x)] dx

where \phi_{1} and \phi_{2} are an arbitrary angles. If \phi_{1}=\pi and \phi_{2}=0, the answer for this integral is a Bessel function.

Thanks,

Viet.

Physics news on Phys.org
vvthuy said:
Hi,

Do you have any idea to solve this integral?

[tex]\int^{\phi_{1}}_{\phi_{2}} exp[j cos(x)] dx[/tex]

where \phi_{1} and \phi_{2} are an arbitrary angles. If \phi_{1}=\pi and \phi_{2}=0, the answer for this integral is a Bessel function.

Thanks,

Viet.

Use the identity

[tex]e^{ iz\cos\phi} = \sum_{s=-\infty}^{\infty}i^sJ_s(z)e^{is\phi}[/tex]

Mute said:
Use the identity

[tex]e^{ iz\cos\phi} = \sum_{s=-\infty}^{\infty}i^sJ_s(z)e^{is\phi}[/tex]

Thank you very much. Do you have the reference for this equation since I do not find it in my mathematical books?

Related to Can Bessel Functions Solve Specific Exponential Trigonometric Integrals?

1. What is a Bessel integral?

A Bessel integral is a type of integral that involves the Bessel function, which is a special mathematical function used in solving differential equations. It is commonly used in physics and engineering problems.

2. How do I solve a Bessel integral?

The most common method for solving a Bessel integral is by using a series expansion or a contour integral. Other methods include using integral transforms or special functions tables.

3. What are the applications of Bessel integrals?

Bessel integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in solving problems related to heat conduction, wave propagation, and vibration analysis. They also have applications in signal processing, optics, and quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any special properties of Bessel integrals?

Yes, Bessel integrals have several special properties, such as orthogonality, recurrence relations, and asymptotic behavior. These properties make them useful in solving complex problems and equations.

5. Can Bessel integrals be solved analytically?

In most cases, Bessel integrals cannot be solved analytically, and numerical methods are used to obtain approximate solutions. However, for special cases and specific values of the parameters, analytical solutions can be found.