Can anybody explain this to me? (Analysis)

In summary: Thanks a lot, I think I understand it more now...but...The other poster says "In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P." So (according to this statement) if we know that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "some finite" partition P, then we can say that U(f) < b^2/2. In the text that I attached, it says that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "all" finite partitions P...so why can't we
Artusartos
For question 32.2 in this link:

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw11sum06.pdf

I did not understand how [itex]b^2/2 \leq U(f)[/itex]. We know that we have strict inequality in [itex]t_{k+1} > \frac{t_k + t_{k+1}}{2} [/itex]...so don't we need to have [itex]b^2/2 < U(f)[/itex] instead of [itex]b^2/2 \leq U(f)[/itex]?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Artusartos said:
For question 32.2 in this link:

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw11sum06.pdf

I did not understand how [itex]b^2/2 \leq U(f)[/itex]. We know that we have strict inequality in [itex]t_{k+1} > \frac{t_k + t_{k+1}}{2} [/itex]...so don't we need to have [itex]b^2/2 < U(f)[/itex] instead of [itex]b^2/2 \leq U(f)[/itex]?

Thanks in advance

If a strict inequality folds for any finite partitions, all you can conclude is that the non-strict inequality holds in the limit, or when taking the sup, etc. In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P.

To put it another way: we have 1/n > 0 for all positive integers n, but inf{1/n: n is a positive integer} = 0.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
If a strict inequality folds for any finite partitions, all you can conclude is that the non-strict inequality holds in the limit, or when taking the sup, etc. In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P.

To put it another way: we have 1/n > 0 for all positive integers n, but inf{1/n: n is a positive integer} = 0.

RGV

Thanks, but...

"we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P."...but if you look at the last part of the solution, it actually shows that U(f,P) < b^2/2 for all partitions P...

Artusartos said:
Thanks, but...

"we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P."...but if you look at the last part of the solution, it actually shows that U(f,P) < b^2/2 for all partitions P...

OK, so I got the inequalities reversed. The argument is still the same.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
OK, so I got the inequalities reversed. The argument is still the same.

RGV

No I wasn't saying that you got the inequalities reversed...

I was just saying that (at the very end of the solution), it is shown that U(f,P)> b^2/2 for all P.

Ray Vickson said:
OK, so I got the inequalities reversed.
No, you had it right the first time.
Artusartos, Ray is saying the argument runs like this.
We know that for any finite partition U_P(f) > b2/2. Suppose in the limit U(f) < b2/2. That would imply U_P(f) < b2/2 for some finite partition P, contradicting what we know. Therefore U(f) ≥ b2/2.
The OP says, in part:
don't we need to have b2/2<U(f) ?​
Therein lies a misunderstanding. The relationship between b2/2 and U(f) is not a condition that's needed, it's a relationship we are trying to deduce. The point is that we cannot deduce U(f) > b2/2. This is because it is the limit of a sequence, and a sequence in which every term is > x can be equal to x in the limit. Instead, we can deduce the weaker relationship U(f) ≥ b2/2.

haruspex said:
No, you had it right the first time.
Artusartos, Ray is saying the argument runs like this.
We know that for any finite partition U_P(f) > b2/2. Suppose in the limit U(f) < b2/2. That would imply U_P(f) < b2/2 for some finite partition P, contradicting what we know. Therefore U(f) ≥ b2/2.
The OP says, in part:
don't we need to have b2/2<U(f) ?​
Therein lies a misunderstanding. The relationship between b2/2 and U(f) is not a condition that's needed, it's a relationship we are trying to deduce. The point is that we cannot deduce U(f) > b2/2. This is because it is the limit of a sequence, and a sequence in which every term is > x can be equal to x in the limit. Instead, we can deduce the weaker relationship U(f) ≥ b2/2.

Thanks a lot, I think I understand it more now...but...

The other poster says "In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P." So (according to this statement) if we know that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "some finite" partition P, then we can say that U(f) < b^2/2. In the text that I attached, it says that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "all" finite partitions P...so why can't we say the same thing? Since, if we have U(f)<b^2/2 for "all" partitions, then we definitely have it for "some" partitions...

Artusartos said:
"In other words, we cannot have U(f) < b^2/2, because in order to have that we would have to have U_P(f) < b^2/2 for some finite partition P." So (according to this statement) if we know that U_P(f) < b^2/2 for "some finite" partition P, then we can say that U(f) < b^2/2.
No, that doesn't follow. You're turning A [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] B into B [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] A:
If {U(f) < b^2/2} then {[itex]\exists[/itex] P s.t. U_P(f) < b^2/2}​
is not the same as
If {[itex]\exists[/itex] P s.t. U_P(f) < b^2/2} then {U(f) < b^2/2}​

haruspex said:
No, that doesn't follow. You're turning A [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] B into B [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] A:
If {U(f) < b^2/2} then {[itex]\exists[/itex] P s.t. U_P(f) < b^2/2}​
is not the same as
If {[itex]\exists[/itex] P s.t. U_P(f) < b^2/2} then {U(f) < b^2/2}​

Oh, ok...I get it. Thanks :)

Related to Can anybody explain this to me? (Analysis)

1. Can you explain the process of analysis in simple terms?

The process of analysis involves breaking down a complex problem or situation into smaller, more manageable parts in order to gain a better understanding of it. This can include identifying patterns, relationships, and connections between the different components of the problem. It often involves collecting data, using various techniques and tools to interpret the data, and drawing conclusions based on the findings.

2. Why is analysis important in the scientific field?

Analysis is a crucial aspect of the scientific method as it allows scientists to make sense of the data they collect and draw meaningful conclusions. By breaking down a problem into smaller parts, scientists can better understand the underlying mechanisms and processes at work. This can help in developing theories and making predictions about future outcomes.

3. How do scientists choose the right analysis method for their research?

The choice of analysis method depends on the type of data being collected and the research question being asked. Scientists must carefully consider the strengths and limitations of different methods and choose the one that is most appropriate for their specific study. This may involve consulting with other experts in the field or conducting a pilot study to determine the best approach.

4. Can you give an example of how analysis is used in a scientific study?

Sure, let's say a scientist is studying the effects of a new drug on blood pressure. They would first collect data from a group of participants who have taken the drug and a control group who have not. They would then use statistical analysis to compare the blood pressure readings between the two groups and determine if there is a significant difference. This analysis would help the scientist determine the effectiveness of the drug in lowering blood pressure.

5. What are some common challenges scientists face during the analysis process?

One of the main challenges of analysis is dealing with large and complex datasets. This can be time-consuming and requires specialized skills and tools. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the data being analyzed. Scientists must also be aware of potential biases and limitations in their methods and results. It is important for scientists to continuously evaluate and validate their findings to ensure the integrity of their research.