Can a Simple Graph with No K5-Minor Have More Than Five Vertices?

In summary, we can prove that if G is a simple graph with no K5-minor and |V(G)| does not equal 0, then G has a vertex at most 5 by using the fact that |E(G)| <= 3|V(G)| - 6 and considering the case where |V(G)| = 1 or 2, and then supposing for contradiction that G has more than 5 vertices.
ploppers

Homework Statement

Prove that, if G is a simple graph with no K5-minor and |V(G)| Does not = 0, then G has a vertex at most 5.

Homework Equations

|E(G)| <= 3|V(G)| - 6 for |V(G)| >= 3 (Proved by earlier part of problem set)

Handshake theorem
(I don't believe we are allowed to use hadwiger's conjecture

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first used the handshake theorem to show that the sum of the degrees in G are equal to 2 times the edges in G.
Sum(Deg (v)) for all v in G = 2 |E(G)|

use V average and replace |E(G)| with 3|V(G)| - 6 so:

Vaverage |V(G)| <= 2(3|V(G)| - 6) = 6|V(G)| - 12

divide by |V(G)|

= 6 - 12/|V(G)|

now for any V(G) less than 3, we can see it intuitively. However...I can't have |V(G)| > 12...Help please! I've been a little frustrated.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are struggling with proving the statement that if G is a simple graph with no K5-minor and |V(G)| does not equal 0, then G has a vertex at most 5. Let me try to guide you through the proof.

First, let's recall the statement that you have proved earlier in the problem set: |E(G)| <= 3|V(G)| - 6 for |V(G)| >= 3. This means that for any simple graph with at least 3 vertices, the number of edges is at most 3 times the number of vertices minus 6. This is a very useful fact that we will use in our proof.

Next, let's consider the case where |V(G)| = 1 or 2. In this case, it is clear that G has a vertex at most 5, since there are only 1 or 2 vertices in the graph. So, we can assume that |V(G)| >= 3.

Now, let's suppose for contradiction that G has more than 5 vertices. This means that |V(G)| > 5. Using the fact that |E(G)| <= 3|V(G)| - 6, we can write:

|E(G)| <= 3|V(G)| - 6 < 3|V(G)| - 3

Since |V(G)| > 5, we can replace it with 6 and write:

|E(G)| < 3(6) - 3 = 15

This means that G has less than 15 edges. But we know that G has no K5-minor, which means that G cannot have a complete graph with 5 vertices as a minor. The complete graph with 5 vertices has 10 edges, which is more than 15. This contradicts our previous statement that G has less than 15 edges. Therefore, our assumption that G has more than 5 vertices must be false.

Hence, we can conclude that if G is a simple graph with no K5-minor and |V(G)| does not equal 0, then G has a vertex at most 5.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work on your problem set!

Related to Can a Simple Graph with No K5-Minor Have More Than Five Vertices?

1. What is a graph theory minor?

A graph theory minor is a subgraph that can be obtained from a larger graph by deleting vertices and edges. It is also known as a minor graph.

2. How is a graph theory minor different from a subgraph?

A graph theory minor is a subgraph that is obtained by deleting vertices and edges, while a subgraph can be obtained by deleting only vertices. This means that a graph theory minor can have additional edges that were not present in the original graph.

3. What is the significance of graph theory minors?

Graph theory minors are important because they help in understanding the structure and properties of a larger graph. They also help in simplifying complex graphs and can be used to prove certain theorems in graph theory.

4. How are graph theory minors used in real-world applications?

Graph theory minors have various applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and social sciences. They are used to model and analyze relationships between different entities, such as computer networks, social networks, and transportation networks.

5. Can any subgraph be considered as a graph theory minor?

No, not all subgraphs can be considered as graph theory minors. For a subgraph to be a minor, it must be obtained by deleting vertices and edges in a specific way, such as through vertex and edge contractions. A subgraph that is obtained by simply deleting vertices may not be a minor.