Can a Physics Major Make a Real-World Impact?

In summary, the speaker has been struggling with choosing a major and has been seeking advice on Physics Forums. They love physics and are currently taking AP Physics B online. They enjoy watching physics shows and are interested in solving real-world problems. They have considered electrical engineering, but believe that physics is more complex and advanced. They are drawn to the challenge and research opportunities in physics and hope to use their discoveries to make a positive impact on the world. They are wondering if a physics major will provide them with the necessary skills and knowledge to achieve their goals.
nst.john
I've been annoying myself with this buzzing in my head all summer and posting questions about what major to choose here almost every day! I'm so confused what to do when it comes to my major. I love physics and I'm taking AP Physics B online this year. I watch all these physics shows on TV all the time and it's all so interesting, I even try to find channels on youtube for physics videos. I love physics but I want to solve real-world problems. I don't want to get involved in all the theory and the big bang and origin of the universe, it's interesting but I want to do more experiment and application. Many told me electrical engineering which is a great field (and not taking anything away from it and its difficulty) but from all I've heard physics is pretty much the top dog in the case of how complex and advanced things get compared to engineering. I love complexity and the advanceness of problems and math etc. I want the biggest challenge and I love research too. I love discovering and questioning, but I want to use discoveries or answer questions that will apply to the world, whether being alternative energy, faster way of doing things or ways to change technology to help against global issues like a clean engine for a car to stop with global warming. The real question is, with a physics major, can I do research and experiment and discover, and also use my discoveries and results from experiments to make the world a better place? Or improve technology? Will I have the skills and knowledge to do so?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. Should I be a physics major?

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a physics major depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you have a passion for understanding how the world works and are skilled in math and problem-solving, then a physics major may be a good fit for you.

2. What are the job opportunities for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as research, education, engineering, finance, and data analysis. Many employers value the analytical and critical thinking skills that physics majors possess.

3. Is physics a difficult major?

Physics can be a challenging major, as it requires a strong foundation in math and a deep understanding of complex concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, many students are able to succeed in this major.

4. What skills will I gain as a physics major?

As a physics major, you will develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively. You will also gain experience in data analysis, laboratory techniques, and mathematical modeling.

5. What can I do with a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career paths, including research in academia or industry, teaching at the secondary or college level, and working in fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis. It can also serve as a strong foundation for graduate studies in physics or related fields.