Can a Modified Sound Card Measure the Speed of Light?

In summary, the speaker is interested in participating in the science fair, particularly in the field of Physics. They have borrowed a class book and are studying the fundamentals of electromagnetism. They are interested in measuring the speed of light, but their school does not have a proper lab or equipment. They are considering modifying their PC's sound card, but it is not suitable for the experiment. However, they have found alternative methods such as using an oscilloscope or measuring the speed of sound in different gases. They are also writing an essay on optics for the fair.
highwhey
Science fair is being held soon, 2-3 months I believe. Anyways, the school mandates that you participate if you are currently enrolled in a science class...I am not, I've attained all my science credits. Although I am not too happy since I really wanted to take Physics this year but I might have a chance if I keep inquiring about it.

I can participate voluntarily and I've decided to do so. I've fallen in love with Physics. Especially electromagnetism. Aside from the books I've checked out at my local Library, I was allowed to borrow the class book that is used in Physics at my school and I am currently reading it to establish the basic fundamentals. Anyhow, I really wish I could measure the speed of light. I've read up on the hot spots caused by uneven cooking in a microwave, but it's too simple, and doesn't really capture my interest. Now, I read that with an LED or 2 among other materials, including the oscilloscope, you may measure the speed of light. Problem is my school does not have a lab at all...for Chemistry experiments we made good use of the room they refer to as the "cafeteria", very small room, smaller than my den. Given that my school can't afford proper lab equipment, much less an expensive oscilloscope (yes, even the hundred dollar machines are much too expensive for my school), I am left with nothing. Another alternative was converting my PC's sound card into an oscilloscope, or one with very limited capabilities. Luckily for me, I am very good with PC's. Although I am left with one question, will this modified sound card -assuming I make the right modifications and install the proper software- work for this experiment? I will be writing an essay as well, should be around ~15 pages, give or take a few so the content of the essay will include the study of optics, well before Maxwell's time.

I would appreciate any help, and I thank you all in advance. I am in 12th grade btw.

Physics news on Phys.org
highwhey said:
modified sound card -assuming I make the right modifications and install the proper software- work for this experiment?

Nope. The modified sound card wouldn't do. The discretization frequency of the sound card is too low 44100 Hz. You'll need an oscilloscope with ~1 ns resolution to perform the measurement.

Last edited:

Related to Can a Modified Sound Card Measure the Speed of Light?

1. What is a high school science project?

A high school science project is a creative and hands-on activity that allows students to explore a scientific concept or question. These projects typically involve conducting experiments, collecting data, and presenting findings in a formal report or presentation.

2. How do I choose a topic for my high school science project?

Choosing a topic for your high school science project can be challenging. Consider your interests, skills, and available resources when selecting a topic. Look for ideas in science magazines, online resources, or by talking to your science teacher or classmates.

3. What are some tips for conducting a successful high school science project?

To conduct a successful high school science project, it is important to carefully plan and organize your experiment. Make sure to follow the scientific method, keep accurate records of your data, and communicate your findings clearly. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor and to start your project early to allow for any unexpected challenges.

4. How do I present my high school science project?

There are many ways to present a high school science project, including creating a poster or presentation board, giving a speech or presentation, or creating a digital presentation. Make sure to include all necessary components, such as a hypothesis, materials, procedure, data, and conclusion. Practice your presentation beforehand and be prepared to answer questions from your audience.

5. Can I compete in science fairs with my high school science project?

Yes, many high school science projects can be entered into local or regional science fairs. These fairs provide an opportunity to showcase your project and compete with other students. Be sure to follow the specific guidelines and rules for the science fair and to present your project in a professional and engaging manner.