Measuring Gravity: Using Direct Motion Videos to Estimate g

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of measuring g, the acceleration due to gravity, and the options available for obtaining accurate measurements. It is mentioned that there are only two options currently available - simple pendulum experiments and expensive gravimeters. However, a website is mentioned that provides useful resources, including a direct motion video that can be used to determine g with a resolution of 9.809 +- 0.007. It is suggested that creating a video with more accurate displacement and time scales would allow for even more precise measurements, but it is important to consider other factors such as air resistance, centrifugal force, and variations in gravity due to altitude and location. These factors should be taken into account for more accurate results.
The measurement of g appears to be somewhat limited in extent. You either have simple pendulum experiments that yield something like 10 +- 0.5 or so m/s^2 or - at the other extreme - very expensive gravimeters which will measure to a few ppb. Not much in between.

However an educationally useful site is the one with reference below which provides very useful resources by way of 'direct motion videos' one of which is of "5 Objects in Free Fall":

https://serc.carleton.edu/dmvideos/videos/five_spheres_fr.html

I have carried out some careful analysis of this video and conclude I can use it to determine g (at that location) as 9.809 +- 0.007 or so. The time data provided has resolution of 1 'frame' with the frame rate being 1500 per second. I am just wondering if somehow one could create a similar video with somewhat more accurate displacement scales - and indeed time scales so that one can use the dmv to ascertain g to (say) 5 places. I think this is about the level at which air resistance starts to affect results. For a steel ball in free fall air resistance is indeed 'negligible' - you cannot measure any discrepancy between time rising and time falling. Obviously the situation is different for the polystyrene sphere in the same dmv.

I 'enhanced' the displacement scale somewhat by using a 'pixel rule' tool on my PC but the value of g is quite sensitive to the pixel to cm conversion factor which one can only ascertain by measuring (for eg) 65 cm = 340 pixels. (ie 1.91 mm per pixel) If you alter that by just one pixel to 341, the value of g changes by about 0.008 m/s^2.

DMV equipment is not that cheap but no doubt somewhat cheaper than gravimeters (I would imagine). And the technology should enable the average school science lab to carry out experiments (such as the above) to a much higher degree of precision than was previously possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are looking for that much accuracy, you have recognized that aerodynamics effects each ball differently. Additionally, at anyone location, the centrifugal force from the Earth's rotation effects all of them. So before you look for more video accuracy, I think that you should insist that the test setup and the calculations be more accurate. There are also differences due to altitude and location on the Earth's surface.
Altitude of the surface can change gravity by less than 0.2% and local geology can change it by 0.01%. (see http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/ab...-across-the-surface-of-the-earth-intermediate ).

You might already know all this, but it is good to mention these other factors specifically.

Last edited:

1. How do you use direct motion videos to measure gravity?

To measure gravity using direct motion videos, you need to record the motion of a falling object and analyze the video frame by frame. By tracking the position of the object in each frame, you can calculate its acceleration due to gravity and use that to estimate the value of g.

2. What materials do I need to measure gravity using direct motion videos?

To measure gravity using direct motion videos, you will need a camera or smartphone to record the falling object, a tripod or stable surface to hold the camera, and a ruler or measuring tape to provide scale for the video analysis.

3. Can I use any object to measure gravity with direct motion videos?

Yes, you can use any object that can fall freely without being affected by air resistance. Some common objects used for this experiment are a ball, a feather, or a coin.

4. How accurate is measuring gravity using direct motion videos?

This method can provide accurate results, with an error margin of around 5%. However, the accuracy can be affected by factors such as the quality of the video, the precision of the measurements, and any external factors that may affect the motion of the falling object.

5. Is measuring gravity using direct motion videos a suitable experiment for students?

Yes, this experiment is suitable for students as it is easy to set up and provides a hands-on way to understand the concept of gravity. It also allows students to practice their video analysis and mathematical skills.