Can a defective fan motor cause a run capacitor to go bad?

In summary, the topic of discussion is whether a defective DRC (Dual Run Capacitor) on a heat pump can cause the fan motor to go bad. The conversation then shifts to whether a defective PSC fan motor on a heat pump can cause the run capacitor for the PSC motor to become defective. It is mentioned that a shorted motor winding could decrease the capacitor lifetime due to increased temperature, but this would be a long-term failure. A start capacitor could also be subject to a short-term failure due to increased current. A schematic or picture would be helpful in determining the cause of a defective capacitor.
fourthindiana
I already have made the thread "Can a defective DRC [Dual Run Capacitor] on a heat pump cause the fan motor to go bad?" Earlier today I told my father how a defective DRC on my heat pump caused the run winding on my fan motor to burn up. My father asked me if a defective fan motor can cause a run capacitor to go bad, which is the reverse of the topic of my other thread. I don't know enough about how capacitors work to deduce the answer to my father's question.

Can a defective PSC fan motor on a heat pump cause the run capacitor for the PSC motor to become defective? If so, how does a defective PSC fan motor on a heat pump cause a run capacitor to become defective?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a schematic or picture? Usually caps have ratings, so if it is overcharged or shorted it will fail.

Last edited:
For a Run capacitor, more likely a shorted motor winding would decrease the capacitor lifetime due to the higher current causing a greater temperature rise in the capacitor. This would be a long-term failure, not instantaneous.

A Start capacitor could be subject to a short-term failure by the same reasoning but with a much higher current.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes sparkie

Related to Can a defective fan motor cause a run capacitor to go bad?

1. Can a defective fan motor cause a run capacitor to go bad?

Yes, a defective fan motor can cause a run capacitor to go bad. The run capacitor is responsible for providing a jolt of energy to start the fan motor, and if the motor is defective and requires more energy than usual to start, it can put strain on the capacitor and cause it to fail.

2. What are the signs of a bad run capacitor?

The most common signs of a bad run capacitor include the fan motor not starting or running at all, a humming noise coming from the motor, and the motor overheating. You may also notice the fan only running at one speed or not being able to maintain a consistent speed.

3. How can I test if my fan motor is defective?

The best way to test if your fan motor is defective is to use a multimeter. You can check the resistance of the motor's windings and compare it to the manufacturer's specifications. If the readings are significantly different, the motor may be defective and need to be replaced.

4. Can a bad run capacitor be replaced or does the entire motor need to be replaced?

In most cases, a bad run capacitor can be replaced without having to replace the entire motor. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement capacitor has the same specifications as the original one to avoid further issues.

5. How often should a run capacitor be replaced?

The lifespan of a run capacitor can vary depending on factors such as usage, climate, and quality of the capacitor. However, on average, a run capacitor should be replaced every 5-7 years to ensure efficient functioning of the fan motor.