Calculus Problem, Estimate h'(-1)

In summary, A function f with domain [-5, 5] has a derivative f' whose graph is shown on the image provided. The estimate of h'(-1) is -e2, based on the calculation of f'(-1) as -1 and the fact that h(x) = ef(x). Additionally, the function g(x) = 1/[f(x)]2 is decreasing at x = -1, as its derivative is negative and this is sufficient to explain its behavior.
bobraymund

Homework Statement

A function f with domain [-5, 5] has a derivative f' whose graph is shown http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2842/calcpic.jpg" . Also, f(-1) = 2.

a) If h(x) = ef(x), estimate h'(-1).

2. The attempt at a solution

a)
h'(x) = f'(x)ef(x)
h'(-1) = f'(-1)ef(-1)
= e2f'(-1)

f'(-1) = (2 - 3)/(0-(-1)) = -1/1 = -1

h'(-1) = -e2

Issues I'm having

So I'm not exactly sure if my estimate of f'(-1) is accurate based on the graph. What do you all think?

Thanks,
Bob :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
doesn't f'(-1) = 3 from that picture?

Hahaha, oh my gosh I'm stupid. Thank you. :P

Another part of the question is:

Suppose that g(x) = 1/[f(x)]2. Is g(x) increasing when x = -1? Explain.

It would be decreasing, right? Because the derivative is -1/4. I don't get how to explain that...

so if you caclulate the derivtive of g(x) is negative, then that is sufficient to explain it is decreasing

Related to Calculus Problem, Estimate h'(-1)

1. What is a "Calculus Problem"?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the understanding of rates of change, derivatives, and integrals.

2. What does it mean to "Estimate h'(-1)"?

Estimating h'(-1) means finding an approximation of the derivative of the function h at the point -1. This involves using a formula or a graph to estimate the slope of the tangent line at -1.

3. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve. This can also be done using differentiation rules and formulas.

4. Why is it important to estimate h'(-1)?

Estimating h'(-1) can give us an understanding of the behavior of the function h at the point -1. It can also help us make predictions and solve real-world problems related to rates of change.

5. What are some applications of Calculus?

Calculus has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include optimizing functions, predicting future trends, and analyzing motion and change.