Calculus problem (demand funnction)

• Thread starter haris123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: F(q), is equal to .4 times the quantity, q. In the given scenario, the absolute maximum profit occurs at a quantity of 5 units, with a maximum profit of $2.
haris123
1. In all of this question assume the cost to produce and sell every 100 units of a product is $ 30 and that the demand function is p =100/ (root q) dollars per 100 units, where p; q > 0

(a) State the profitt function, F (q).

(b) Calculate the absolute maximum profit and the level of production at which the maximum profit occurs under the extra assumption that q belongs to [3; 8]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have so far?

gb7nash said:
What do you have so far?

i knw that the to find the profit we need revenue minus cost. so i think it should be price times q which should be 100root q - 30 ? I am not sure if this is the correct profit function

haris123 said:
i knw that the to find the profit we need revenue minus cost. so i think it should be price times q which should be 100root q - 30 ? I am not sure if this is the correct profit function

Alright, first let's determine what our revenue equation is and cost equation is.

First off, what's the general equation for revenue? (ignoring the question) Once you know that, look at the problem and tell me what revenue is.

Second, remember that the cost is not constant. For every 100 units, it's costing 30 dollars. For example, if I produce 100 units, it costs 30 dollars. If I produce 200 units, it's costing 60 dollars. What kind of relationship is this? How can I make an equation for the cost?

gb7nash said:
Alright, first let's determine what our revenue equation is and cost equation is.

First off, what's the general equation for revenue? (ignoring the question) Once you know that, look at the problem and tell me what revenue is.

Second, remember that the cost is not constant. For every 100 units, it's costing 30 dollars. For example, if I produce 100 units, it costs 30 dollars. If I produce 200 units, it's costing 60 dollars. What kind of relationship is this? How can I make an equation for the cost?
cost changes for every unit - average cost varies. that's the marginal cost which changes for every unit of good produced. in this case its 30 for 100 units. so i would multiply the quantity (q)times the demand function minus the cost which is 30. what do you think?

haris123 said:
cost changes for every unit - average cost varies. that's the marginal cost which changes for every unit of good produced. in this case its 30 for 100 units. so i would multiply the quantity (q)times the demand function minus the cost which is 30. what do you think?

I don't follow this. Here's an easier way of thinking of it:

Draw a vertical axis for cost and horizontal axis for units. Plot the two points I mentioned in the previous post. Draw a line through the two points. What is the equation of this line?

gb7nash said:
I don't follow this. Here's an easier way of thinking of it:

Draw a vertical axis for cost and horizontal axis for units. Plot the two points I mentioned in the previous post. Draw a line through the two points. What is the equation of this line?

you mean the demand function? its 100/ root q

haris123 said:
you mean the demand function? its 100/ root q

I'm talking about the cost. :-p

gb7nash said:
I'm talking about the cost. :-p

cost is 30$ per 100 units

haris123 said:
cost is 30$ per 100 units

Yes...so what is the equation for cost in terms of quantity? C = ____

gb7nash said:
Yes...so what is the equation for cost in terms of quantity? C = ____

there is no equation lol. thts what the question says.

I think you're misunderstanding the problem, or I'm misunderstanding from the way you typed it:

haris123 said:
assume the cost to produce and sell every 100 units of a product is $ 30

This says that for every 100 units you make, it costs 30 dollars. If I make 300 units, it will cost me 90 dollars. The cost is not constant. Does the actual problem say it's constant?

gb7nash said:
I think you're misunderstanding the problem, or I'm misunderstanding from the way you typed it:

This says that for every 100 units you make, it costs 30 dollars. If I make 300 units, it will cost me 90 dollars. The cost is not constant. Does the actual problem say it's constant?

no it doesn't say its constant. however it would be wrong to assume that the cost for producing 300 units would be 90. that's the theory of marginal cost. it changes with every unit produced. if you are assuming that it doesnt. does it help to find the solution?
here is the link to the direct question. ( http://www.math.utsc.utoronto.ca/a32f/A32_exam_fall_2007.pdf) page 6 question no 1

I think you're thinking of variable cost, not marginal cost. It's been awhile since I've dealt with marginal cost, but the definition is the change in total cost if the quantity produced changes by one unit. Marginal cost doesn't play into the calculation of profit. The equation for profit is:

Profit = Revenue - Total Cost,

where Total Cost = Fixed Cost + Variable Cost

There is no fixed cost from the problem, so:

Fixed Cost = 0.

What we're looking for here is the variable cost.

gb7nash said:
I think you're thinking of variable cost, not marginal cost. It's been awhile since I've dealt with marginal cost, but the definition is the change in total cost if the quantity produced changes by one unit. Marginal cost doesn't play into the calculation of profit. The equation for profit is:

Profit = Revenue - Total Cost,

where Total Cost = Fixed Cost + Variable Cost

There is no fixed cost from the problem, so:

Fixed Cost = 0.

What we're looking for here is the variable cost.

so what do you think is the profit function?

i still don't get it.

haris123 said:
there is no equation lol. thts what the question says.
No reason to LOL- the problem does not give an equation directly, that's why gb7nash asked you for one. If it cost $30 to produce 100, how much does it cost to produce 1? How much does it cost to produce "x" of them?

Now, I have a question- what, exactly, do the variables "p" and "q" represent? Normally, "p" stands for "price" and "q" for "quantity sold" but your equations look like you have that backwards.

Related to Calculus problem (demand funnction)

What is a demand function?

A demand function is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between the quantity of a product or service demanded by consumers and the price of that product or service.

What is the purpose of a demand function in calculus?

The purpose of a demand function in calculus is to analyze and predict consumer behavior and market trends by using mathematical models to determine the optimal price and quantity of a product or service.

How is a demand function graphed?

A demand function is typically graphed on a two-dimensional coordinate system, with the price of the product or service on the vertical axis and the quantity demanded on the horizontal axis. The resulting curve is known as a demand curve.

What factors affect the shape of a demand curve?

The shape of a demand curve is affected by various factors such as consumer preferences, income levels, availability of substitutes, and market trends. These factors can cause the demand curve to shift or change in slope.

How is calculus used to optimize a demand function?

Calculus is used to find the maximum or minimum point of a demand function, which represents the optimal price and quantity for a product or service. This is done by taking the derivative of the demand function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the price and quantity values that maximize or minimize the function.