Calculus of Variations: Nature of the Functional

In summary, the conversation discusses the functional S[y] = \int ^{a}_{b} f[y, \dot{y}, x] dx and its optimal solution, which satisfies a 2n-order ODE subject to boundary conditions. While the functional can be of any form f[x,y,y˙], it is generally simplified in physical applications by setting \frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{(k)}} = 0 for k \geq 2. The method of deriving the optimal solution does not require any additional ideas beyond what is used for the Euler-Lagrange equation.
devd
Let [itex] \normalsize S[y] = \int ^{a}_{b} f[y, \dot{y}, x] dx [/itex] be the functional i want to minimize. Why does [itex] \normalsize f [/itex] (inside the integral) take this specific form?

Would i not be able to minimize the integral, [itex] \normalsize S[/itex] , if [itex] f [/itex] had any other form instead of [itex] f = f[x, y, \dot{y}] [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what "f[x,y,y˙]" means? f is a function that can depend upon x, y, or the derivative of y but the "dependence" on anyone can be 0- that is, this includes f(x), with f depending on x only, f(y) with f depending on y only, or f(y') with f depending on the derivative of y only. What more generality do you want?

Likes 1 person
Mathematically one can consider a functional of the form [tex]
S[y] = \int_a^b f(x,y,y', \dots, y^{(n)})\,dx
[/tex] for any [itex]n \geq 1[/itex], where the optimal solution satisfies [tex]
\sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \frac{d^k}{dx^k}\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{(k)}}\right) = 0,
[/tex] which is in principle a [itex]2n[/itex]-order ODE subject to boundary conditions on [itex]y[/itex], [itex]y'[/itex], ..., [itex]y^{(n-1)}[/itex] at both [itex]x = a[/itex] and [itex]x = b[/itex]. However in physical applications one generally has
[tex]
\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{(k)}} = 0
[/tex] for [itex]k \geq 2[/itex] so there is no point in going beyond [itex]n = 1[/itex]. Also the method of deriving the above ODE does not involve any ideas which are not required for the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation for the case [itex]n = 1[/itex]; it just requires more integrations by parts.

Likes 1 person
Yes, i understand what f(x, y, y') means here. I was thinking about generalizations of the form that pasmith mentioned. Most of the texts are physically motivated, i guess. Probably that's why i didn't find the general form. Thanks, all! :)

Related to Calculus of Variations: Nature of the Functional

What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a mathematical field that deals with finding the optimal or most efficient solution to a problem. It involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional, which is a function of other functions.

What is a functional?

A functional is a mathematical object that takes in a function as its input and outputs a number. In the calculus of variations, the functional is the quantity that is being minimized or maximized.

What is the nature of a functional in the calculus of variations?

The nature of a functional is determined by the choice of the dependent and independent variables. The dependent variable is the function that is being optimized, while the independent variable is the parameter over which the function varies. The nature of the functional can range from simple to complex, depending on the problem at hand.

What are the basic principles of the calculus of variations?

The basic principles of the calculus of variations include the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used to find the extremum of a functional, and the variational principle, which states that the extremum of a functional is equivalent to the solution of a differential equation.

What are some applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It is used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the shortest path between two points or the shape of a soap bubble. It is also used in the development of mathematical models and in the study of optimal control systems.