Calculus of Variations (Geodesics on a Cone)

In summary, we are trying to find the geodesics on a cone with equation z = λρ in cylindrical-polar coordinates. To do this, we use the Euler Equation and the length of a curve given by the integral of ds. After some algebraic manipulations, we arrive at the integral \theta = \int \sqrt{\frac{C(1+\lambda ^2)}{\rho ^{2}(\rho ^{2}-C})} d\rho, which can be solved using a hypergeometric substitution for rho.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the geodesics on the cone whose equation in cylindrical-polar coordinates is z = λρ [Let the required curve have the form φ=φ(ρ)] check your result for the case λ→0

Homework Equations

[itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} - \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] ds^{2} = d\rho^{2} + \rho d\theta^{2} + dz^{2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The integral of ds gives the length of a curve, a geodesic is a curve with the shortest length between two points on a curved surface. So the Euler Equation is necessary.
[itex] s = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt{d\rho^{2} + \rho d\theta{2} + dz^{2} } = \int_{a}^{b} \sqrt{1 + \rho \theta ^{'2} + z^{'2}} d\rho [/itex], I have an equation for z so z' is easy to find, it's just λ. [itex] \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + \rho \theta^{'2} + \lambda^{2} } d\rho [/itex].

From here I just used the Euler-Equation, noting that the lack of a θ means that ∂F/∂θ' = constant by the Euler-Equation, so [itex]\frac{\rho \theta ^{'}}{\sqrt{1+\rho \theta^{'2} + \lambda^{2}}} = C [/itex], some algebra gets me to [itex] \theta^{'} = \sqrt{\frac{C+C\lambda^{2}}{\rho^{2}(\rho^{2} - C)}} [/itex] which integrating with respect to rho yields [itex]\theta =\int \sqrt{\frac{C(1+\lambda ^2)}{\rho ^{2}(\rho ^{2}-C})} d\rho[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I assume if they want me to check the result for the case λ=0, that case will look familiar to me. It doesn't.

I made a boo boo, rho is squared in the line element. I'll work it out, but I feel like I still need help.

So I fixed my mistake, and have decided [itex] \theta =\int \sqrt{\frac{C(1+\lambda ^2)}{\rho ^{2}(\rho ^{2}-C})} d\rho [/itex]. Boy is this a hard integral to do, wolfram spits out some pretty crazy stuff. Where should I start integrating this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:
Where should I start integrating this?
Try letting ##\rho = \sqrt{C} \sec u## and express the integral in terms of the variable ##u##.

Last edited:
You might find it a bit easier if you leave C as you originally introduced it, so that every C in your integral becomes C2.
A hypergeometric substitution for rho might then suggest itself.

Edit: TSny's response did not appear for me until I submitted my own, hours later. Strange. Yes, sec will work as well or better.

Related to Calculus of Variations (Geodesics on a Cone)

What is the Calculus of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a mathematical field that deals with finding the optimal path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. It is used to solve problems that involve finding the path of least resistance or the most efficient path, such as determining the shortest distance between two points or the shape of a hanging chain.

What are Geodesics?

Geodesics are the shortest paths between two points on a curved surface. In the context of the Calculus of Variations, geodesics are often used to represent the optimal path that minimizes or maximizes a given functional, such as the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface.

What is a Cone in Mathematics?

In mathematics, a cone is a three-dimensional shape that has a circular base and tapers to a point at the top. In the context of the Calculus of Variations, a cone is often used as a model for curved surfaces, and geodesics on a cone can represent the optimal path on a curved surface.

What is the Importance of Geodesics on a Cone?

Geodesics on a cone are important in the study of the Calculus of Variations because they provide a model for finding optimal paths on curved surfaces. They can also be used to solve various problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve finding the shortest or most efficient path.

How is the Calculus of Variations Used in Real Life?

The Calculus of Variations has numerous applications in real life, such as in optimal control theory, economics, and physics. It is used to solve problems that involve finding the path of least resistance or the most efficient path, and it has practical uses in fields such as transportation, materials science, and computer graphics.