Help with Calculus: Maximising Volume of Hot Metal Storage Tank

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in calculus regarding a hot metal storage tank with a rectangular shape and the goal of maximizing its volume while minimizing heat loss through its surface. The solution involves eliminating n from two equations and taking the derivative of the resulting equation for volume with respect to x, setting it equal to zero to find the value of A, and then using this value to solve for n and ultimately find the maximum volume of the tank. The person asking for help is looking for someone to guide them through the steps of the problem.
hiya99
help Calculus!

Homework Statement

got this question, and i need help. lost it lol. this is the sort of question i have to do for me assignment. Help in going through it

Homework Equations

Hot metal storage tank: is rectangle with a square cross section
total surface area is: A=xSquared(4n+2) The Volume is:V=nxcubed
Too maximise effeciency by minimising heat loss through the surface, the tank needs to be designed for a maximum volume for any given surface area.

by eliminating (n) between the two equations, show that for this shape, the volume is maximum (dV/dx=0) when the total surface area A is 6x. Calculate the value of n for this maximum volume and hence calculate the maximum voume of the tank with a total surface area of 24m

i have the question on sheet if u would like to read it properly cheers for any help

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

What have you done so far? What have you tried? The general rule on this forum is that you show what you have attempted so that people can tell you where you have gone wrong, or can help you with the next step.

sorry just trying to find someone who can help go through the steps of this question as it a bit new to me any help is great

If someone could show me steps in this question woul be very grateful

The steps are given, but I'll try to clarify them.

Solve the equation for surface area for n, and plug that value into the equation for volume. Now take the derivative of this new equation for volume with respect to x and set it equal to zero and solve it for A. Take the calculated value for A and use it to find n. Once you know n, you can then find x by using the given surface area. Finally use the calculated values of n and x to find V.

Last edited:

thanks i plug these into my equation but get lost. this is an example question i will get for my coursework. i understand in puttin gin the number but wanted someone to show me how to work this out. thank you

hiya99 said:
If someone could show me steps in this question woul be very grateful

As it said in the problem statement, start by eliminating n from the two equations. What do you get when you do that?

p.s. By the rules of Physics Forums, nobody at this forum is just going to do the problem for you. You'll need to make an attempt at the solution.

Related to Help with Calculus: Maximising Volume of Hot Metal Storage Tank

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding the area under a curve, among others.

What is the purpose of maximizing the volume of a hot metal storage tank?

The purpose of maximizing the volume of a hot metal storage tank is to increase the amount of hot metal that can be stored in the tank. This can be beneficial for industrial processes that require a large amount of hot metal at a time.

What factors affect the maximum volume of a hot metal storage tank?

The maximum volume of a hot metal storage tank is affected by various factors such as the dimensions of the tank, the material used to construct the tank, and external factors like temperature and pressure.

How can calculus be used to maximize the volume of a hot metal storage tank?

Calculus can be used to find the maximum volume of a hot metal storage tank by optimizing the function that represents its volume. This involves finding the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero to identify the critical points, which will give the maximum volume.

What are some real-world applications of maximizing the volume of a hot metal storage tank?

Maximizing the volume of a hot metal storage tank has practical applications in industries such as steel manufacturing, metal casting, and metal recycling. It can also be useful for designing storage tanks for other materials such as liquids or gases.