Calculus II- Pressure and Force Question

In summary, the force acting on one end of the cylindrical drum is calculated by integrating the pressure at each point along the horizontal line of the circle, with limits from -3 to 3, where -3 is the top of the circle and 3 is the bottom. This is because the radius of the circle is 3, and the depth of the water is calculated relative to the center of the circle.
1LastTry

Homework Statement

Find the force acting on one end of a cylindrical drum with 3m. If the rim is submerged horizontally into water so that the bottom is 10m deep.

Homework Equations

A(x) - Area
p(x) - Pressure = density * Depth

g= 9.8

A(x) =2[itex]\sqrt{9-x^{2}}[/itex]

P(x) = 1000(7+x) * g

dF = 2000*g*[itex]\sqrt{9-x^{2}}[/itex](7+x) dx

F = 2000g [itex]\int^{3}_{-3}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{9-x^{2}}[/itex](7+x)dx

Finally, my question is why is the limit goes from -3 to 3? Where does it come from? A picture is in the attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue about this. I am ok with Integrals and finding the equations for the problem. However, I am not sure on how to find the limits of the definite integral, so hints and information on how to find the limits (such as -3 to 3) is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Calc2.png
    Calc2.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1LastTry said:

Homework Statement

Find the force acting on one end of a cylindrical drum with 3m. If the rim is submerged horizontally into water so that the bottom is 10m deep.

Homework Equations

A(x) - Area
p(x) - Pressure = density * Depth

g= 9.8

A(x) =2[itex]\sqrt{9-x^{2}}[/itex]

P(x) = 1000(7+x) * g

dF = 2000*g*[itex]\sqrt{9-x^{2}}[/itex](7+x) dx

F = 2000g [itex]\int^{3}_{-3}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{9-x^{2}}[/itex](7+x)dx

Finally, my question is why is the limit goes from -3 to 3? Where does it come from? A picture is in the attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue about this. I am ok with Integrals and finding the equations for the problem. However, I am not sure on how to find the limits of the definite integral, so hints and information on how to find the limits (such as -3 to 3) is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
How is x defined in this problem?

Where is x = -3 ?

Where is x = 3 ?

By the way, I think you intended to say that the cylindrical drum has a radius of 3m .

SammyS said:
How is x defined in this problem?

Where is x = -3 ?

Where is x = 3 ?By the way, I think you intended to say that the cylindrical drum has a radius of 3m .

Yes that is what I meant the radius is 3. And x is marked in the attachment.

And that is what I am asking: where did the prof get the -3 to 3 for the definite integral.

Quote: And that is what I am asking: where did the prof get the -3 to 3 for the definite integral.

Hint: the cylinder has a radius of 3 m. Doesn't that suggest why the limits are -3 to 3?

Do you understand how the integral is set up?

SteamKing said:
Quote: And that is what I am asking: where did the prof get the -3 to 3 for the definite integral.

Hint: the cylinder has a radius of 3 m. Doesn't that suggest why the limits are -3 to 3?

Do you understand how the integral is set up?

I know it suggests that it has something to do with the radius. I am unclear on how the integral is set up for this question, but I know what each number or variable is representing. The main thing I am not clear about is why -3 to 3? Why -3 to 3? Why not 0-6 or 4-10? Does it have to do with the area where we represented with x?

The reference point for x is the center of the circle. The circle has a radius of 3 m. The depth of water at the center of the circle is 4m + 3m = 7m. The pressure of the water is constant along a horizontal line, like the one shown in the picture. The pressure acting at x from the center of the circle is (x + 7)*1000*g N/m^2.
The equation of a circle with radius 3 is x^2+y^2 = 9. This implies that the half-width y of the circle at x is
sqrt (9 - x^2). The force at x is P*dA and dA = 2y*dx. In order to find the total force on the end of the cylinder, you must integrate from 3 m above the center of the circle to 3 m below. Given the definition of water depth relative to the center of the circle, -3 m is at the top closest to the water surface and 3 m is at the bottom.

Related to Calculus II- Pressure and Force Question

1. What is the application of calculus in understanding pressure and force?

The branch of calculus known as differential calculus is used to understand the relationship between pressure and force. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of force with respect to pressure, known as the pressure gradient. This is particularly useful in fields such as fluid mechanics and engineering.

2. How is pressure related to force?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force exerted on a surface per unit area. In other words, pressure is force divided by the area over which it is applied. This means that as the force increases, the pressure also increases.

3. Can calculus be used to solve real-world problems involving pressure and force?

Yes, calculus is a powerful tool for solving real-world problems involving pressure and force. It allows us to calculate the exact values of pressure and force at any given point, and can be applied to a wide range of scenarios, from fluid flow in pipes to the structural integrity of buildings.

4. What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, pressure and volume are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the volume increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be represented mathematically using calculus.

5. How does calculus help us understand the forces acting on objects?

Calculus allows us to analyze and model the motion of objects under the influence of various forces. By calculating the rate of change of force with respect to time, we can determine the acceleration of an object and predict its future motion. This is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding the forces acting on objects is essential for designing structures and predicting their behavior.